Cheap Instruments

Pleased you came back with that Island Time. You may have worked out that I am a complete novice with this stuff. Probably something to do with the colour of my hair.

Am I right in assuming you are up here in the North too ?

What a magnificent installation. I do like that.

Are there any external connections required i.e wifi, cellphones or anything like that?

Pleased you came back with that Island Time. You may have worked out that I am a complete novice with this stuff. Probably something to do with the colour of my hair.
I'm there with ya on that. It seems to make sense but not being a teenager or in the game I'm not sure why.

No cell ph KM. Yes wifi, and a device (in this case an imux) to bring the data in NMEA 0183 format from the instruments to the ipad (and back to control the AP). There are a lot of options.....

So for anyone starting on this, my suggestion is to make a list of the instrument systems you want, or even might want, then go from there. You can get cornered - for example, this install is good, but cannot (with currently available technology) display radar, and relies on the ipad battery. Depending on your use, that may be fine, but may not...

So, make sure you have the whole system thought out before you start buying stuff! As I said, I'm happy to help anyone who wants help...

No cell ph KM. Yes wifi, and a device (in this case an imux) to bring the data in NMEA 0183 format from the instruments to the ipad (and back to control the AP). There are a lot of options.....

So for anyone starting on this, my suggestion is to make a list of the instrument systems you want, or even might want, then go from there. You can get cornered - for example, this install is good, but cannot (with currently available technology) display radar, and relies on the ipad battery. Depending on your use, that may be fine, but may not...

So, make sure you have the whole system thought out before you start buying stuff! As I said, I'm happy to help anyone who wants help...

So this is the low tech hi tech version?

Ok I can live with that.

Horses for courses I suppose, as you say, offshore this wouldn't be ideal.

Fun around here though

Yep, sorry Zen, nothing wrong with your system, just my perspective is a little different! :D

I did not mean to belittle what you did, it's cool, professionally done, and would be eminently suitable for many members boats!

And it is very Gucci indeed. Nice work Zen. Wish I had half your skills! I'm going to have to invest some time in learning to make moulds and do some carbon/glass work. The results are just so nice when you see it done well. Top job! Makes the $$$$ I spent on Nav gear for the RNI a bit of a joke..

Anyone got a good cheap source for nmea outputsensors?

Just considering a cheap instrument package of a few sensors to one of these nmea to WiFi convertors to phone or iPad.

For a cheap boat where don't want to spend too much and can sacrifice some reliability.ie not going offshore.

Thought I'd get in on the cheapo instruments idea also. Using a tablet or smart phone in the cockpit or small Netbook at the chart table.

Idea is to be able to get data on a small mobile tablet in the cockpit on wind/laylines/time to start line etc. So bought a vyacht nmea wireless multiplexer(http://vyacht.net/) that can take either NMEA 0183 or Seatalk as inputs (as those are the instruments I have). And it collates the data and sends it wirelessly as NMEA data over small hotspot that it creates.

However cant get it to o/p any NMEA data wirelessly. It will give some data if you connect up the SeaTalk input. But looking at the raw NMEA data (its converts SeaTalk to NMEA). Its garbage, wind speeds of hundreds of knots, basic lat long data is there, but SOG is coming out at 200-300kts whilst sitting at the dock. So time to Waypoint or layline is going rubbish. The date on the sentences is 2025 not 2014. And I'm pretty certain the Garmin GPS isnt putting out crap like that. As the normal instruments show SOG=0 sitting at the dock, and sensible wind speeds on the gauges.

Have emailed the supplier of this unit (Sweden or Norway) . But got no response so far. My recommendation don't buy one of these.

Might try an Imux next time(http://brookhouseonline.com/imux.htm) these cost a lot more but probably work. Anyone used one?

Zen, nice setup. I'm doing a similar thing at the moment, although I'm getting a small netbook running navigatrix/OpenCPN to do the multiplexing of all the various nmea goodies. However, i'm thinking of changing it to get something like the iMux to do the multiplexing instead to simplify things.

What GPS are you using and where did you get it? I'm after a nmea0183 gps, but the only ones i can find that aren't usb cost a fortune!

Cheers,

Dave

Dave, I use a furuno gp32. Its a GPS plotter, with nmea in x1 and out x2. One of the outs is switched to Auto pilot control, the other to the PC, and to the vhf for DSC, and to instrument in. Great GPS, I've had the gp31 as well. There is now a Chinese clone of it if you want cheap http://www.neptunes-gear.com/collections/electronics/gps its the kp32 on that page. I can do a GPS/plotter/ais/transponder for around USD 600 if you're interested? Send me a pm.

Matt

Is that last one you refer to a Onwa Matt?

I'm thinking I'm going to do a GPS/plotter/AIS via something like one if the Onwas type. That's downstairs out of the way and self contained so it doesn't piss with anything else. Looking here and talking around connectivity is a major bug bear so have none and that's that issue gone away.

Upstairs just have a set of good sailing instruments which chat to the AP. I don't really need Nav on deck and if I do I can go portable.

Clean simple and not too interlinked so that if one goes down it takes the lot.

As a FYI - having been across the Tassie a couple of times on boats with Onwa gear now and crews that have to push the freaking button every time they come within 5 mts of the unit I can say they maybe asian knock off of Furunos (so I'm told) but they do work and work fine. I'd have no issue using one again or fitting one to my own boat.

Hi KM

I have an AIS built right into the VHF ( Std Horizon) it shows targets etc on the VHF and if you interface it to a plotter, it will also show them on there, or a tablet if you go down that route. Radio & AIS are all in the same unit and only require one VHF aerial (with no spliter) so uses the one at the top of the mast. IT all works very well, I already had the little Garmin GPS plotter, so was pretty cheap to set-up. You can turn the alarms off, so that when ur cans racing it doesnt bleat about every ship in the harbour.

G'day down there. You mentioned a spooky word 'interface'.

I can't see why it would need to be mission critical so why add a potential issue is my thinking. The AIS is only so I'm more visible not so much for seeing what's out there. The plotter idea is so I can get the AIS and have a spare GPS, just in case, along with lazy Nav if I feel like it. The price of the units is that cheap it just seems the smartest option.

Sailing instruments so I know what's happening and to talk to the AP. All the same brand and nothing 'new and improved'.

The re-birthing is all about reliability and simplicity of use after 48 hours of no sleep. The experience I've had with 'interfacing' doesn't line up with my definition of reliable. We had a interface issue last week and if the lads hadn't stopped me our carpark would now be full of broken glass, plastic and shotgun pallets.

No KM, that one is not Onwa. It is a GPS plotter only - you can upload your routes and waypoints from your PC/tablet/chart plotter, and, if they fail, then you can use the GPS as a backup/get me home plotter, stand alone. Just needs power.

The vhf based Ais units I have seen at this stage are all receive only, not transponders. They won't help you be seen. Not something I would personally use.

There is no reason to fear interfacing a couple of instruments, only 2 wires if nmea 0183, and should be as reliable as the instruments themselves if done correctly. Correctly set up systems can automatically detect leeway, set and drift, and can compensate for them way better than a helmsman. Integrated instruments should all work standalone in the unlikely event of a connection failure, and they can provide automated redundancy when well selected. An example of this is, on Island Time, the furuno GPS is the primary position sensor. If it fails, the Ais transponders GPS takes over, automatically.

IMO there is no better system for a tired sailor that a chart plotter showing exactly where he is, relevant to geographic features, and any vessels or navigation information nearby, as well as cross track error from plotted course, and eta to next waypoint. That's the safety stuff, nice is wind speed, Dir, and boat performance via polars. That can certainly be done on one easily understood screen.

Alarms are useful, but only if its obvious what they are. When single handed, I normally have Ais set to alarm if any vessel will be within 2 nm of me within 20 mins, and a radar guard zone with alarm at 4 nm. Both with will wake you from the deepest sleep. That time gives you sufficient time to get up, dressed, and react without too much pressure.

Just as an aside, I often have this setup even when fully crewed - and it was an eye opener to see how many times the electronics saw threats before the person/people on watch!

First though you need a well found boat with good basics. Electronics are not the first priority! :-)

I hope none of the gear is Apple. $100's of millions in R&D and 1000's of engineers working on it and they still can't get even the basics right.

It's stuff like that that scares me from seemingly cobbled together systems.

IMO there is no better system for a tired sailor that a chart plotter showing exactly where he is, relevant to geographic features, and any vessels or navigation information nearby, as well as cross track error from plotted course, and eta to next waypoint. That's the safety stuff, nice is wind speed, Dir, and boat performance via polars.
If I have all that what am I going to do?? Can't watch Clint Eastwood movies and bake muffins all day :)

I'm only 30ft so I don't really have much of a need for multiple or remote systems as I can see and reach everything from the cockpit.

Yep, but not from your bunk, or up the rig, or on the bow...

And all any of the systems do (except the Ap) is give you info. The skipper still has to filter it and decide what to do. And no, none of my stuff is apple - too bendy!

I'm a 30ft Ross boat, we don't do bow or rig except for the absolute minimum time possible. Certainly not long enough to have the need for any electronics.

Not a good week for Apple. I'm sort of surprised they've made such a hash of it but not surprised so many want to pay for such a mess. Tis a weird world.

Archived