Superyacht World

will_hay

Hi all

Is there any people with superyacht experience on this forum?

ive been slowly getting everything together so i can join the world of the superyachts.

would love to hear any stories on your experiences or maybe even some contacts?

Would anyone like to go over my CV also?

Regards

William

Have you done the STCW basic courses?

Here's a list of what i've done so far.

- STCW-95

- Boatmasters

- Security awareness

- Padi Openwater

- Padi Rescue

What im currently completing

- Padi Dive Masters

- B1/B2 Visa

- ENG1

I have been involved with superyachts alot in the last 15 years as both permanent crew and race crew. Fitted sails on hundreds of them and seen many different crew dynamics.

What I have seen is that its not the boat you are on or the place you are going to that matters its more about the guys you are with. You could be going to the best place on earth with on the best boat but if you are with a bunch of assholes its just no fun. Where as the worst boat going to average places but with a good bunch of people will always be a good time. So choose the boat and crew well. Obviously you might need to go through a few harder boats to find the right one, generally the bad boats have a big crew turnaround and the good boats hold onto the same crew for a long time.

Remember that you are working, living and partying with these guys 24/7 so you need to fit in well and bite your tongue. Confrontation never ends well as you cant get away. Just go with the flow and don't cause issues.

Places like the Med just mean a lot of polishing as its just a big wank off for the owners and they all want the shiniest boat. If you are in the more remote places its much more laid back.

Take interest in the engine room and mechanical side of things, skippers and engineers love people who want to learn the mechanics of the boat, it takes the load off them and shows you are a keeper.

Most boats keep serious engine room logs at every watch change, a full inspection and writing down the numbers on the dials so if you know your way around its of huge benefit. Remember a majority of the crews are stewardesses who really know nothing about boats at all.

When you get given any time off (doesnt happen often) just get off the boat and stay in a hotel or backpackers. Its the only way to get away from work.

In my experience there are quite a few people on superyachts who run the sailing side of it who often dont have any qualifications then there are people with qualifications who actually dont have a clue but are needed for the paperwork. If you can do both then you will do well.

I was the first mate on superyacht for a year with ZERO qualifications, not even a boat master. The skipper had every qualification under the sun but didnt know how to sail at all. My job was to run the sailing side of the boat. We did the pacific, alaska and mexico so clocked up 20,000nm.

Superyachting is a great way to see the world but remember its on the boats terms not yours. It pays well but takes your life away.

Good luck.

:thumbup: Dealing with superyacht crews here every season--Booboo has given an extremely accurate summation of the typical boat with regards to ability and Quals, it is very rare to find guys / or girls with both.

I can think of one Aussie girl about to return here and a few Kiwis in Europe that I would want running my boat.

So push on - you are on the right track.

:thumbup: Dealing with superyacht crews here every season--Booboo has given an extremely accurate summation of the typical boat with regards to ability and Quals, it is very rare to find guys / or girls with both.

I can think of one Aussie girl about to return here and a few Kiwis in Europe that I would want running my boat.

So push on - you are on the right track.

Thank you all! is there anyone willing to send through there email address so i can send my CV through, would be a huge help if some people could go over it

Archived