What would your Boat Show have?

The Boat Show thread echoes most comments I've heard from this year and the last 2 or 3.

Baring in mind while it would be wonderful to have every marine and related outfit there that's never going to happen as Shows like that do cost a lot of money to be in. One exhibitor was spending over $50,000 to be at another NZ boat show and they weren't the biggest stand. Yes most pay less than that but it's still a very significant outlay for most.

Thinking more the On the Water Show in the Viaduct as it is marketed as NZ's flashes one and it is the one where most of the most resides.

So excluding that bit above what would your Boat Show do/have/be laid out like that the current ones don't have?

Or put another way, what would you like to see the Boat Show change to get you along to it?

I'll start.

'On the Water' suggests shite happens in the water. Bar the very odd tiny fringe thing, shite doesn't happen on the water. What's more it's laid out to minimise any view of the water.

So I'd like to see more water and stuff happening on it. How about something simple like a small boat 'Show Regatta'. Maybe Hartley 16's or something small and manoeuvrable. That coud happen inside or dead smack outside the Viaduct, could even go in and out. Either way the punters can see stuff happen and ya just never know where that may lead.

I went the last 2 years, but not this year. I always enjoy wandering around looking at stuff, and got the impression if i wanted to buy an outboard, an inflatable dinghy or wet weather gear, its a good place to go.

But the price of entry is too large. I have a philosophical objection to paying $20 to go visit shops?

Don't know what the should add to it, but lowering the price of entry would be a good start.

never going to happen as Shows like that do cost a lot of money to be in.

I suggest that needs to be looked for a start.The cost of having a stand is totally stupid and unaffordable. It prices many completely out of the idea. Just like the Boatbuilder KM notes, he decided to spend $50K on TV Adds instead and ended up getting far more orders.

I have a philosophical objection to paying $20 to go visit shops?

And that is the second thing directly in the same line as the first. $20 to walk through a Marine version of a Shopping Mall. However,

Agreed, more opportunity for the local clubs and classes to show off. That would get more people along for a start and it would be interesting! Plenty of demonstrations, splicing was mentioned, but if that was the demo highlight then we definitely need more; Boat building stuff such as Vacuum bagging, fairing and painting techniques, tool demos, rigging, etc etc Safety demos, mast climbing etc. Opti sailing for the kids in the viaduct, woodworking demos, one sheet boatbuilding competitions, in fact anything that isnt just about production yachts from europe and fizzboats on trailers!

With this kind of stuff and more, then people don't mind spending $20 to get in. Who is it that is making the money from this thing anyway? They must be making a fortune. I just don't understand some in NZ. They start with something great, then simply make it so expensive for everyone concerned that it becomes lame and milk it for all it's worth, then wonder why nobody bothers anymore.

What you guys are arguing for is the old, very old version of the boat show that was held at the "Easter Showgrounds" when I was a kid (no, we did'nt travel by horse to the show :lol: )

They used to fill this giant space somewhere in the middle with water and have P class racing and water ski stunts etc.

And all the yacht racing classes had boats on show in the halls etc.

My child's memory of it is probably coloured but I loved it! :thumbup:

My mate and I sailed our Cherub in the Boat Show Pool. Kinda tricky wind conditions....

Best bit was whipping out the saw and lopping a couple of feet off the centreboard rather ostentatiously ...... only cos we'd found it somewhere earlier......

Good story Wal!

I go to the on-water show about every 3 - 4 years - there's not much in it for me. But that's just me.

Do they still have the/a boat show at the showgrounds? I remember going to it maybe 10 years ago - never went back, it was 90% fishing gear, hardly anything yachting in sight.

My mate and I sailed our Cherub in the Boat Show Pool. Kinda tricky wind conditions....

Best bit was whipping out the saw and lopping a couple of feet off the centreboard rather ostentatiously ...... only cos we'd found it somewhere earlier......

ditto with mulleties as well, just didn't lower the full plate, what the or any boat show needs though is tits and free stuff

did not go to viaduct show but went to show grounds boat show.

maybe just me ,not enough sailing gear.most stalls aimed at the top end of market when i think most money is spent by the average waged kiwi.

sailed a sea scout cutter back in 1970s at greenlane in the pool and tore the bottom of pool.

I remember playing mulleties at Ellerslie. Went out to do the Sunday pool racing only to find it had drained. It appears someone in the heat of battle on the Saturday lowered their centre board and sliced the liner open :lol: :lol:

Also liked those 10ft x 25hp fizz nasties that used to race in the pool. They were neet little machines.

Interesting to see how many remember those older Boat Shows. I bet in 20 years time not a single person will remember last weekends one.

I bet in 20 years time not a single person will remember last weekends one.

I was going to say, you're being highly optimistic. But then I thought, hang about, yes we would remember. They are the same every year, so you just remember the last years one and you have remembered the one 20yrs before :wink:

I remember the boat shows in the 1970s. Used to drive the old man nuts because I never wanted to go home. There was so much yachting stuff going on then; new kiwi design production TS and keelers every year; about 50/50 with powerboats in those days. Always went home with a bag full of brochures and leaflets.........still have the GBE promo.

Yep the Epsom boat show got me started into sailing at a young age and the pool was great along with all the keelers that were transported there. We saw a Spencer Stilleto and decided we could build it even with no experience. John Spencer and the Stilletto association were great with advice. Launched it 18 months later at Westhaven and went sailing without ever setting foot on another yacht. 12 months later overnighters to the Duke and Waitangi pubs for New Years were a regular thing :D

I remember the boat shows in the 1970s. Used to drive the old man nuts because I never wanted to go home. There was so much yachting stuff going on then; new kiwi design production TS and keelers every year; about 50/50 with powerboats in those days. Always went home with a bag full of brochures and leaflets.........still have the GBE promo.

Any chance you could scan the gbe promo and post it here?

Sure, no scanner at home ATM so I'll put it up tomorrow.

Here

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=24978

Sure, no scanner at home ATM so I'll put it up tomorrow.

Awesome. A bit off topic for this thread, but post it in the multi section.

Archived