How do you know you've lived aboard too long

Island_Moose

I've been living on my Nonsuch 30 for a reasonable period of time now (there are several country-music songs that discuss why). I had the opportunity to sleep in a "land-bed" while travelling on business the other day and couldn't get to sleep. Why? I missed my crackling friends...the NZ snapping shrimp that keep me company at night (pop, crackle, snap, snap, pop).

They are sure doing well on my hull (haul out in November) and the dock next to me. I was told that their "snap" has been recorded at 218 dB....seems high.

pistol-shrimp-2.jpg

218dB? Unless measured right at the actual claw....maybe. A Sperm Whale can make a Sonar Click at...(I think it was)... 188dB and that is a loud enough to actually render a diver unconscious if he was in front of the Whale.

However, if that is the little Pistol Shrimp that stuns it's prey with a snap of it's fing...I mean Claw, it is indeed a powerful snap and apparently the shock wave is caused by the cavitation of the water, which can produce 6000deg heat and a flash of light. Apparently. Never seen it myself. You'd think the water would be little flashes of light all over the place at night. :wink:

The reason that the level appears so loud is that noise is described as a change in pressure against a reference pressure. The reference pressure in air is different to that of water, hence different levels. It’s also related to the speed of sound in the medium.

The energy is the cavitation bubble is truly prenominal. It’s currently one of the holy grails of acoustics as several groups are working on ways of harnessing the resulting energy. It could potentially outperform nuclear energy, all from a glass of water.

I don't mind em , I still laugh though when I think of the wags in the cruising races who'd tell all the newbies , us included, that the noise was ( drumroll)....... Electrolysis ooooooooooo.

Archived