Must one be affiliated with a club to race?

SeaEagleii

Technically Yes.

You need to be a member of a yacht club that is affiliated to Yachting New Zealand who is affiliated to ISAF who publish the yacht racing rules.

No membership = no right to race using the IASF rules.

Although it's related to being able to race under the rules, perhaps it's not clear that it is the clubs (affiliated to YNZ) who have the dispensation under the colregs to be allowed to pass closely at more than 5 knots etc. You can't really hold a race properly under the collregs, without that dispensation....

So yes!

Ok .. Ummmm

So joining a club .. Makes you follow the rules..?

I thought doing your skippers ticket And applying it made you follow the rules?

It's not all that clear to me.. I'll visit one and try get a grips on it :)

But will joinSSANZ seems easiest:)

What if you don't by some brain freeze follow the sailing instructions - which I have had in there but do not seem to completely stay there in detail over years.. Know few who have it all up there all the time..

I'm mean right of wAy clear - restricted vessels etc .. Bla bla

Should be standard vocab to any skipper ..

I doo keep a book handy - always forget the beeps :0

Although -beep beep beep - seems to stick

Did that loads on long trips with no or broke. toilet on board

Lmao

Yes, the IMS polars, now renamed ORCI and the underlying Velocity prediction software has changed significantly over the past 20 years. The extent and nature of the change varies quite a bit depending on the general style of boat.

Yes! So Would expect people to follow the rules for courtesy and safety... belonging to a club or not .. No?

Does belonging to a club guarantee people know and follow the rules?

If you don't belong to a club don't consequences still apply?

I'm amazed in this country you allowed on the water without a skipper ticket.. If people don't have to have a skippers ticket how are they expected to know maritime law?

I bet the people who do the most stupid dangerous and risky to other people are not qualified to handle a boat and know the law/rules..... Can't blame them - skipper ticket not required ..

They want you to wear life jackets but hell feel free to take out a 40 footer or worse a 20 footer .. With not boat handling training .. Jeeezzzzzzz radical!

I have a skippers ticket up to 100ton and done 3 courses in full and still feel my knowledge lacking-

I think having a skippers ticket is much more important than belonging to a club ..

You should be asked for your ticket - not your club when entering races. Lmao

Yes! So Would expect people to follow the rules for courtesy and safety... belonging to a club or not .. No?

I'm amazed in this country you allowed on the water without a skipper ticket.. If people don't have to have a skippers ticket how are they expected to know maritime law?

I bet the people who do the most stupid dangerous and risky to other people are not qualified to handle a boat and know the law/rules..... Can't blame them - skipper ticket not required ..

They want you to wear life jackets but hell feel free to take out a 40 footer or worse a 20 footer .. With not boat handling training .. Jeeezzzzzzz radical!

I have a skippers ticket up to 100ton and done 3 courses in full and still feel my knowledge lacking-

I think having a skippers ticket is much more important than belonging to a club ..

Cant find anything in there to agree with.

Experience is a great teacher, classrooms not so much.

Idiots will be idiots, regardless of training, don't punish the sensible.

Sure - experience best-

But actually practicing emergency procedures under training sure helps people actually know what to do and how to do it-

Courses include theory and practical -

How many people go out in all mannor of boats and get into trouble-

Just turn on VHF on a long weekend- it's a joke!

Some nav , safety, boat handling training can't harm -

If you think sea sense and logic is inherent in all people-

You wrong .. Ask Rescue - I'm sure they can tell you -

Like Clipper says - tickets are worth nothing unless the brain attached to them is experienced. I've got a pile and never once been asked for any of them. I deal with many people with masses more tickets then me but a lot of those I wouldn't lend my dingy to to even row across Westhaven because they are a danger to themselves and my dingy. Getting a ticket or licence is easy peasy, anyone can get one as long as you pay someone enough money.

No we don't want or have any need to licence skippers. Both for the reason above and it just won't achieve anything, not a dickey bird except create more bureaucracy that will end up making that license a good income stream for them. Look at what happened in Aussie. 'Licences will reduce problems' is how it was sold and at a one of $10 odd. Now that's $100s and the problems still exist. It just dosen't work and that's well proven. Just look at the roads for another good reason not to have them

Ask Rescue?? That the same one that continues to run aground and out of fuel? The most basic of basic even my unlicensed 9yo knows to check before she goes out? Hmmmmmm..........

No you don't need to be affiliated to do a yacht race. Why? simply be cause no one ever checks so just write ABYC or something in that field. If anyone asks just say it's the American Breathern YC which is affiliated to YUSA, which I just made up by the way. I've been putting NIYC for over a decade just to see if I'd be asked, I haven't, but it is a real outfit.

I am a member of some organisations affiliated to ISAF though.

Thinkhappi, I get the impression that you are confusing the Racing Rules of Sailing (RRS) with the international Colregs (IRPCS) and even just plain ol' good seamanship. These are definitely not the same thing. Similar in some aspects (eg port tack vs starboard tack) but are quite different in others (eg RRS has no concept of 'overtaking' and a particularly significant difference is the concept of "stand on" under IRPCS vs "give way" under RRS). Everyone who enters a race agrees to adhere to the RRS instead of IRPCS. IRPCS still applies between any boat racing and all vessels that are not racing.

As I understand it (someone correct me if I'm wrong) the primary reason why we are required to be affiliated with a club to race is that ISAF writes/administers the RRS and they own the copyright, such that you are not entitled to use the RRS unless authorised/affiliated with ISAF. In NZ it is Yachting NZ that has the authority to use the RRS and that is why all clubs must be affiliated to YNZ and why you must be a member of one of these clubs to be allowed to race.

In theory I guess you could come up with your own race rules and race under them without belonging to a club but I wouldn't want to be in your shoes if anything went wrong, especially if they contravene the IRPCS.

So it is not that belonging to a club will make you follow the rules, but more that by belonging you are allowed to use them. Although as KM has suggested, just because you are not allowed doesn't mean you can't.

Cant find anything in there to agree with.

I can't find anything in there that would make sense coming from someone with a skippers ticket!

Mmmmm

Experience wins hands down-Always

But yeaaa

Beautiful .... People getting on the water ..

Qualified ??!?? Cos they belong to a club?!!??

And no experience or boat training --

Perfect!! Awesome - belong to a club .. That qualifies you and that must automatically cause you to know the rules...

Right.....

The ticket would not sway me either way. If I had a yacht to move, I'd be asking questions...

Like KM, I have some Tickets, never once been asked for them. Non commercial though.

Archived