Drive shaft coupling - what type??

Glsssbead

I took my drive shaft coupling apart today to inspect, and am now not sure how it goes back together.... :?

Drive shaft coupling.JPG

Can someone identify the name of this type of coupling and/or who makes these based on the attached photo?

The coupling consists of two sets of six ball bearings which ride in slots between two outer rings and cones, and held in place by a retaining sleeves. The attached photo shows one set of bearings, not fully pressed in place, and the second inner cone without the bearings or outer sleeve. It all gets sealed together by a rubber boot. I'm sure there is a name for this type of coupling, but a search though "marine drive shaft coupling" photos on google did not yield anything remotely similar.

There are two ways the cone and outer ring can be assembled depending on the direction that the slots are lined up. Either the slots can be lined up parallel or crossing each other. I think the later is correct, but I'm not sure. The assembly came apart when I lifted the motor and I didn't get a chance to see how it fit together :(

Thanks

Hi, if it is all stainless..(?) it may be a "python drive". (or similar)

These are not that common. (marine constant velocity joints).

Sometimes non marine versions find their way into drive lines.

Regardless standard constant velocity joint rebuild information should see you ok.

cheers

Martin

Thanks everyone. After looking at python and aqua drives, I don't think it is either of these. Consistent with Idleboat and Island Time's takes, seems like two standard CV joints welded together. Seems to work well as I don't have much vibration, and I don't see any signs of wear, so back together it goes. I did figure out how to correctly reassemble - there is only one way that it properly rotates :)

Archived