Crew Rum race 2014

Island Time

Theme; This year the Theme will be - Dress to reflect the name of your boat. Prize for the person/crew most recognizable/creative!

Entries are beginning to trickle in, don't forget to pay your entry fee as well as fill in the forms! Details on the front page.

Matt

Hmm. Cordite is a smokeless propellant (explosive, like gunpowder) first used in the british .303 cartridge. So, something explosive or firearm related I guess....

Sir Frederick Abel, Sir James Dewar and Dr W Kellner, developed and jointly patented (Nos 5,614 and 11,664 in the names of Abel and Dewar) in 1889 a new ballistite-like propellant consisting of 58% nitroglycerine, by weight, 37% guncotton (nitrocellulose) and 5% petroleum jelly. Using acetone as a solvent, it was extruded as spaghetti-like rods initially called "cord powder" or "the Committee's modification of Ballistite", but this was swiftly abbreviated to "Cordite".

No real firearms please! :lol:

Entries are pretty slow so far, but David tells me this is normal! Perhaps this will help. The main prize is a B&G Triton speed and depth instrument, valued at $1500. There are several other good prizes (just awaiting written confirmation now). Get your entries in NOW, and don't for get to pay the entry fee - $20.00. Less than 3 weeks out now!!

It was to be the preceding Friday, but we had complaints from several clubs running their final events on the Friday. It's not possible to pick a day that suits everyone. David tells me it has been on a weekday before with no adverse effects on entries. It is after work on what is normally not a hugely busy working week. Sorry if individuals can't make it, we are doing our best!

Merry Christmas to those who can't be there!

Fair enough. For some reason I had thought it normally started earlier... Then again, my memories of other years are a little hazy... Best I get a crew together!

Archived