Birkenhead Sea Scouts

B00B00

Anyone live in the area that might want to help me get a Kea group running for the Birkenhead Sea scouts.

This is Ages 5-8, currently they dont have any keas but are keen to get a group going. I need kids and volunteers (more kids than anything, I can organise it). Pretty keen to get my kids involved.

The Scout den is in Little Shoal bay in Birkenhead.

Can't help I'm afraid but at the risk of telling you how to suck eggs - Having watched a work colleague and a brother in-law get involved with leading these groups I would set a clear expectation right from the start with parents enrolling their kids that this isn't a quasi baby sitting service and that all parents are expected to help some way or another. Maybe not every night but I've seen the bitterness caused by parents who dump and collect their kids from the car park and never set foot inside for fear of being asked to help.

This hinders other parents from getting involved for fear of having the whole thing dumped on them which makes succession a challenge with no new leaders coming through and ultimately threatening the long term viability of the group.

Happy to put 10c in a jar somewhere for that!

Not sure about which day, its a hard one as there is keelboat racing every night of the week...

Good information on the 'Baby sitting', I hadn't thought of that at all. Thinking about how busy I am these days and how much time I am away, I don’t know if I will really be able to take it on.

I might be best for now to get the little fella into an already established Kea group and just help out where I can. It would be nice to really dig it in and help as much as I can with the sailing side of things.

I can agree with dagwood, I uses to be the Cub leader at Birkenhead many many years ago, yes it was the monday night babysitting group. Apart from that there where some very good parent helpers, but its the old 10% ers that join in.

Ha Slutty, didn't realise you were into the Scouts. so were you involved with Birkenhead scounts in your day?

I was sea cadets as a kid which was great but quite different and structured more towards the Navy. got to do some cool navy trips though like Picton to Auckland on a navy boat. Was close to signing up with the Navy before the Sydney Hobart opportunity came along and created a very different path in life.

Yeah mate, a few years, a few badges, soap rubbed through my braces for swearing.

Always remember the Lyall Bay Jamboree/Regatta, I think we were one of the only crews that didn't drop a rig. Cyclone Bola I think it was called.

Would have left there early nineties.... Good times.

kea/cub/scout leader thank less task,i was a cub leader at papakura sea scouts for 5yrs,baby sitting service.real eye opener to what kids can and cannot do,we want to go on a camp,no problem i will organise it,what you expect us to help,no camp.

Archived