B&G releases new product - Forward scanning Sonar!

Island Time

I had an Interphase fwd scanning sonar - it was fantastic, especially in Coral. Unfortunately, Interphase was sold to Garmin, and they discontinued it. There is now a new option;

B&G have released ForwardScan™ - it is very similar to the old Interphase. Simple to use, and well priced. See the front page http://www.crew.org.nz for details

How much of this electronic crap do you need on a boat.

Maybe the greatest lesson to come out of the Vestas incident is the more heads out of the boat and the less playing space invaders inside the better the seamanship becomes in general.

Save the $1000.00 and the rest and buy another lead line.

5 metre swells, raining, dark and 20 knots.... would have to have sensational eyesight or foresight and be expecting something like an atoll to show up!

So the big question for me if I were to purchase one of these new fangled forward scanning sonars is not whether or not I will see, or be alerted to, that coral reef I am so carelessly barreling toward, but rather, will I see that mostly submerged and abandoned VO65 ahead of me, or more worryingly, that 40ft steel container....

The answer is it depends. On the settings you have set and the alarm parameters. My old interphase one would do 210m fwd, but in a seaway with breaking crests, would give false alerts if the alarms are set too shallow. I'd expect better out of this unit - it is 15 years newer after all! I have no personal experience of the new B&G product at this point.

Any idea if these forward looking gizmos would pick up a floating but semi-submerged container or stuff like that very near the surface? What about a sleeping/sun tanning Whale?

yep, both of the above. with the provisos given above. I used to set the old one to alarm if it saw anything 3-20m deep. Shallower than 3 it would detect the wave clutter. It saw several whales, but also schools of fish would cause an alarm. Max range was 210m fwd, which is not much if you have a fast boat, but great for approaching a difficult or unknown entry...

Archived