Westhaven Boardwalk

Just wondering if the exposed end grain of the timber decking on the new boardwalk is going to have any protection from the elements ,such as a border or clashing strip.

IMHO these boards are going to open up pretty quickly if left bare and exposed.

Seems such a shame to ignore this important matter after all the cost and effort that has gone into the construction.

The end grain is not a worry Priscilla, the untreated steel posts holding it all up will rust out before the timber becomes and issue. That's unless someone tries to sneakily paint the steel posts to stop that. But if they did that sneaky (at a great cost) they could find the paint's not proving that good. They then may try a super sneaky and line the piles, but as the council can't be seen to have spent 100's of 1000's on a bum engineer or even a teaspoon of common sense, that lining may have to happen discretely and a vast huge cost.

I suspect the reported 7 million budget would blow out to over twice that if that happened. That would make that footpath more costly per metre than the Sth motorway I'd think.

I wonder if the above did happen if the council would man up and admit it, I suspect they wouldn't ;)

One does wonder about some of these decisions - how many people will actually use it - it isn't exactly Wynard Quarter and on the main tourist trap.

Another one is the walkway across the back of Palmers in Orakei Rd ...although I imagine that will get used a bit more ....there is actually a footpath already existing ....!

We haven't been allowed to use treated wood piles in the land of the Douglas Fir for many years. Steel, concrete or concrete filled steel have been preferred, in order of expense. The earliest of the mandatory steel pilings are 30+ years now and have a rusty red patina but otherwise hold up well. And yes, Puget Sound is salty.

One does wonder about some of these decisions - how many people will actually use it - it isn't exactly Wynard Quarter and on the main tourist trap.

Another one is the walkway across the back of Palmers in Orakei Rd ...although I imagine that will get used a bit more ....there is actually a footpath already existing ....!

How about the wharf and swimming platforms in Judges Bay.

Crap load of loot spent on that little unusable effort believe me.

Cameron Brewers little pet project?.

Back to the board walk. The wood topping/decking used was never capable of spanning the entire required width of the structure so little bits were added to complete. Looks like a dogs breakfast.

Knotme do they still use micaceous oxide as a barrier coat to sea side structures.

Knotme do they still use micaceous oxide as a barrier coat to sea side structures.
Don't know sorry but if it makes sense to add it then No they probably didn't. It's lot more of a cluster fornication down there than most would expect is possible and the council are going hard out to make sure you don't know of any of it.

The broadwalk is to tie into the bridge walk thing. The thing the council said they wouldn't have bar of but will end up give Larry Ellison millions for it, about 30 of them I think it is.

It does look OK and does tidy bits of Westhaven up quite nicely but when the city is already borrowing a million dollars every day is it really that mission critical? I don't think so.

Are the steel piles hollow? If so were they filled with concrete? If so you may find the steel piles are sacrificial.

One recent wharf extension has concrete (with reinforcing) inside steel piles - the steel is expected to last 50years - a sacrificial casing used during construction.

Rigger, we've had both hollow and filled steel pilings installed over the last several years. Our local yacht club just replaced the last of its treated wood piles with hollow steel. Ditto the dolphins used to locate channel marks. The piles used to extend our ships' wharf are filled with concrete, I suspect to handle the greater loads. I do know the first hollow steel piles went into new construction in 1980 and are holding up well. Without the toxic treatment used on wood piles, the mussels grow thick and at least some people harvest them.

Judging by the lengths (and coin) the council maybe ;) going to to make sure no can easily work out why they are painting the steel and now lining them all I'm thinking someone is pretty damn sure if it's not done Mr Cock-up is all ready to pop in for a visit.

They are just RSJ's smacked into the ground, and not overly large ones. Interestingly all the other steel used, that isn't in contact with the water, had been freshly galvanised when it was installed.

The other interesting thing is that if I have a deck at home and put any sort of horizontal balustrades on it the Council would scream blue bloody murder and prosecute me. Yet the broadwalk has horizontal wires being used in it's balustrade. Talk about a bunch of hypocritical tossers!!!! I bet that will cost the ratepayers another few million after the 1st kid climbs them and goes splash.

RWithout the toxic treatment used on wood piles,
Most of the piles being used here these days aren't treated. They use Turpentine and other hardwoods that don't need treating. A lot of the pine is now all new forest grow fast stuff so is to soft to last well even if treated.

Seems to be a mix of pile details.

Knotme is correct with the driven or as he subtly puts it "smacked" steel pile.

There is also a selection of concrete clad driven steel piles by the old launching ramp.

My understanding is that a steel driven pile in a seabed situation is of no threat from decay as long as it is not exposed to oxygen and hence the concrete casing.

Maybe Bellingham would like to enlighten us as to what exactly the durability details are.

Surely you must be trolling Knot Me, surely after the Council bans my galvanised iron roof, cause it puts too much zinc into the harbour, they wouldn't go and put a whole lot of galvanising zinc in the harbour?!?!?!?!? Surely not.

Sounds like this condition is contagious (Super Councils), Wellington has caught it now too, and not just Wellington, but the Wairarapapa, including definitely not Wellington places like Masterton...

The boardwalk will be fine, its that stupid bloody pedestrian bridge over the motorway that isn't . What a travesty that was, bad specification or bad design , took twice as long as it should have because of the imported plastic or glass or whatever it is thats on it , last time I looked nearly every one had star cracks at the fastenings and the St Marys end of it was built out of camber so it catches rainwater and leaves , which then turn into a mud pool. Beyond belief!

after the Council bans my galvanised iron roof, cause it puts too much zinc into the harbour
Have they banned galv roofing now?? That's bizarre.

Having steel inside concrete inside something else is fine and quite common.

I'm not sure if they have banned yet, or are in the process of banning it, but yes, as part of the new stormwater regulations, galvanised iron roofs will be banned because they put too much zinc into the harbour.

I mean its not like we have issues with housing affordability or anything, and I mean why would we need corrugated iron roofing? just cause its dead cheap and keeps the rain off real well. I mean all those homeless people should be able to stay out of the rain in one of Len's new railway stations...

Its all coming out of the newly created 'Department of Irritating Rules'. This is the same department that wants to ban my wood burner, even though I live on a wind swept peninsular, and we don't have an air pollution problem...

And the real reason your rates are going up is to pay for all these people in the 'Department of Irritating Rules', and their office space, and their IT, and their receptionists etc.

Dammit KM you've got me going now :evil: :evil: :evil:

The boardwalk will be fine, its that stupid bloody pedestrian bridge over the motorway that isn't . What a travesty that was, bad specification or bad design , took twice as long as it should have because of the imported plastic or glass or whatever it is thats on it , last time I looked nearly every one had star cracks at the fastenings and the St Marys end of it was built out of camber so it catches rainwater and leaves , which then turn into a mud pool. Beyond belief!

Acrylic panels actually with a screen printed design from a local artist at great great expense per panel.

They had some initial crazing and cracking issues and I wonder how they will hold up over the long term in the sun and pollution.

Had to larf when the contractors had to quickly remedy a missing services access hatch by completely removing and replacing the just laid reinforced concrete pavement section of some 20m in length outside Swashbucklers Bar.Whoops who paid for that little booboo.

Council does not allow reinforcing steel to be used in crossings and pavements but yet the entire length of Westhaven Drive has been relaid with steel mesh imbedded in the concrete.

Duh , this is one of the most dug up sections of the entire city and and it is a very very aggressive and therefore expensive undertaking to have to remediate or resurface.

On it goes, check this lunacy out.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=11369086

Warning - rant begins!

I don't know about the rest of you, but I feel that this shows the council are completely out of touch with reality. Our rates are paying for this incompetence? I don't believe that this project should even have been considered by Council. There are people with no jobs in this city, and kids who are hungry. Surely this money could have been used constructively elsewhere?

The press has been full of how the Council has to cut expenditure, can't do roads etc etc etc. What happened to budgetary constraint and control? Auckland is sliding further into debt, which we will all pay for long term. End Rant

Have a nice day! :wave:

Archived