Solar Power

Tempus - where did you get those panels, I'm looking for dimensions. Cheers.

We bought the boat in the USA so bought them over there. They are pretty standard panel so should be readily available here with some searching.

Dimensions are about 1500 x 660

Just wide velcro to the canvas. Velcro glued to the panel, sewed to the canvas. As they are only 3mm thick, virtually no windage. You can use the little round locks with the drop lock like on manu dodgers as well/instead if you want...

You need to be careful mounting solar panels on top of a bimini. If not done correctly they can act as a water trap due to weighing the bimini down especially if you are trying to mount a flexible panel directly on top. And if you are mounting a rigid panel be careful that you don't 'lock' the bimini frame in it's current position because most bimini frames require periodic re-tensioning to offset stretch in ageing canvas. Again you'll get trapped water / puddles on top of the bimini.

To overcome these problems I mounted my rigid panel on top of a frame that I had custom build for my bimini and panel. And crucially it is adjustable so I can release one side of the panel, re-tension the bimini frame if required, then relock the panel.

AC, I've had flexible solar panels on Island Time for about 15 years, mounted direct to the canvas Bimini. It's these that I'm replacing, as their output had dropped to an unacceptable level, and they are now old tech. I did add an additional stainless support tube through the middle of the bimini to prevent sagging and support the original panels. It has worked fine with no issues at all, for many years, so same again this time.

Just been down to the boat today to look at the output. Only one panel mounted so far, and we are appraoching the shortest day now, so a less than ideal sun angle. Because of this the numbers are not great, but the MPPT controllers are great!

Cool to see the panel produce say 3 amps, and the controller convert that to 4 amps for the batts! (Panel is at approx  22v when this is happening, the controller reduces the volts to correct charging level and raises the Amps - that is what MPPT does). Yes I knew this should happen, but it is cool to see it working!

I'd say for anyone with existing panels, if your controller is not MPPT, it's well worth the $ to replace the controller. Mine was about $200 for a controller for up to 20 amps...

That's my point, you installed a supporting tube to prevent sagging, hence you've not had problems. I'm just advising others from overlooking this important detail.

BP, the answer is sometimes. Often if no wind there is sun. If no sun there is wind. The windgens come into their own in the tradewind zones, and work 24 7. So it depends.

Solar is great, silent, and can be powerful if you have enough panels. 

If I had to have only one, I guess it would be solar, but both is best!

What I'm wondering is, considering what I'm reading, can I get what I want without a wind generator? Basically want to be able to sit at anchor and only have to run the engine very infrequently. At sea add an autopilot?

I wanted the same. I agree with IT that ideally you need solar + wind gen to truly minimise running your engine or genset but I had neither the patience nor space to install a wind gen. Plus I don't care what people say about so-called silent turbines, I am very noise sensitive and they all annoy me especially at anchor!

So I went the lazy option of solar plus doubling my house battery capacity. This means that IF solar can't quite keep up with all my demands (fridge, autopilot etc) then I don't need to obsess about running the engine to 'top up' - I can just wait til I need to use the engine to move the boat.

I'm with AC, no to wind generators for noise but also for safety.

You mount them up high which is fine for the crew but anyone up on a wharf is in the firing line if you forget to stop it before you come alongside.

We had an amp meter on the solar panels and saw some great peak numbers especially in NZ in summer.

Overall with cloud and shade from the sails etc the net result isn't wonderful but it all helps.

If I was sailing somewhere cold I would consider whispergen as well.

From my experience solar is great and all I would need for the boats I have had and the cruising I do but on passage most boats with bigger autopilots etc need the wind gen to help them get through the night when sailing if you want to avoid running the motor or running the batteries low overnight, its always nice to keep the battery voltage up to get good life from the battery investment. If you have plenty of panels you could have the wind gen tied off during the day and only release it when needed, that may allow the bearing to last a lot longer too. I like the look of some of the newer water powered generator but they are too expensive. I have toyed with the possibility off making one up out of an old outboard , A yamaha 9.9 with the pistons removed may still turn the flywheel via the prop in the water and give 6 to 8 amps at 6 kts?

Put as many modern high efficiency solar panels as you can fit. And if you find they can't quite keep up with demand then just increase your battery capacity to give you more leeway before you need to run the motor again. If necessary I can go 2 days without charging but when I'm cruising I rarely go that long without starting the engine even if it's just to move anchorage.