Education/ attention required?

Steve_C

Had 2 close calls last couple of days whilst out sailing, both occasions were sail boats under power.

Both times I was starboard tack and sailing.

I'd say the first guy just didn't see me, don'y know what the others excuse was.

as to the idiots that got hooted at by a departing container ship because they were anchored fishing in the shipping channel......

what's happening out there ?

What's happening out there is a complete lack of knowledge of the Colregs by many boaties, and it scares me too!

For example, the regs state that if you are the stand-on vessel, you are required to maintain your course and speed - all fine and dandy so long as the give way vessel knows that he is in fact the give way vessel. Unfortunately, it ain't necessarily so, and your obediance to the rules can put you in an uncomfortable position to say the least.

What about anchoring?

Most of us use an anchor light, but what about a black ball during daylight hours, and how many know that this is a requirement? If you were rammed whilst at anchor in daylight would your insurance pay out if they realised that you were not displaying the correct anchor shape for a vessel at anchor? Given their propensity for withholding payment under any pretext I think I could be a bit worried..

I know its a contentious issue, but I would like to see some sort of compulsary licencing/training to help avoid the issues that Steve_C has had to endure.

Archived