vitex decking timber

ducman

Quick question, is there any reason I can't use Vitex decking timber to replace the rotten beam shelf and cieling frames under the side deck of my boat? I need to replace the deck as soon as possible as the boat is on a mooring and it is difficult to keep it water tight. I thought vitex would be a good choice as it's a durable hardwood and readily available dressed to the right dimensions.

2014-12-28 16.47.33.jpg

I've used a bit of vitex on board, mainly for winch and cleat bases and can't see any problems with it other than that it can be hard to work and is pretty tough on your tools. I'd find what info I could about glueing it though... Could be a little difficult.

Which Vitex?

It's genus, no?

Puriri, which is like lead, hard and tough and durable is Vitex lucens. Awesome stuff if you can get it without the puriri moth holes...

If it doesn't glue with epoxy it pretty much sure will with resorcinol if you get the fit nice (

That looks like quite a job to be doing on the mooring. I once replaced the cabin top while on the mooring, which was just a piece of ply, and that was painful enough...

Good luck

The Vitex has worked very well. It glues nicely with epoxy and holds screws well, and is very durable. It's a little heavier than I would like but not really a big issue in the scheme of things.

Archived