Looking for a Whiting 16 or similar

RUSS

Hi there.

Been keeping an eye out for a cheap day sailor for me, wife and kid. The Whiting 16 looks like the business as I want something small enough to keep at home and tow with my 2L ute and be able to launch at a beach rather than rely on a ramp. It also should have dry storage big enough for a person to crawl into if they can't take the fun anymore.

If you know of one doing nothing or can recommend another suitable boat (not necessarily for sale at the moment) please do let me know. I'm in Rothesay Bay (Auckland) for the record.

Thanks.

Welcome!

I imagine you are wanting to get some experience under your belt. At this stage I'd go for anything that roughly meets your requirements - I wouldn't get too hung up on the design because you'll be wearing your lifejackets and have two forms of waterproof communications with you. Check:

www.traileryachts.org.nz

For learning on, a 16 foot trailer sailer with three POB is sorta in the cracks between a small dinghy (which I think is best to learn on) and a small keeler (23-24 footer). Small keelers are generally a bit cheaper in my experience than similar trailer sailers.

Have fun. And for what it's worth, here's my story about recently getting into sailing a few years ago:

http://kmccready.wordpress.com/2014/06/30/sailing/

I used to own a 2L mitsy RVR and had no real issues towing a Cresta 575 (similar to a Kestrel) over the Akaroa hill on Banks peninsula. 

As stated above you may be better off either getting a cheap dinghy like a sunburst or seabird to play around in or step up to a smaller Trailer sailer in the 17-18 ft range. The step from the 16 ft Trailer sailers like the whiting, Hartley 16 or the Pelin Cherry to a 17-18ft boat is huge in terms of space, handling and safety.

3 people can quite comfortably overnight in an 18ft boat in sheltered waters (say over to Waiheke or kawau).

The 16's are really in no mans land in my view.

Thanks guys. Should add that I grew up sailing small yachts and dinghies. P-Class, Phoneix (formally Rothmans Father and Son) M-Class on occasion and most recently an old beat-up Arrow. For most of my childhood / teen years I would use the family trailer sailor, an 18 ft'r converted. It was quick, but needed at least two to launch sail safely.

I Don't want to have to lug around the kitchen sink and really need to be able to launch and retrieve it myself so the likes of a Kestrel is a little on the big side, but not much.

The 16's are really in no mans land in my view.

Hmm, struggling a little then to understand why 16's seem to be the most popular trailer yacht size around at present, especially around Auckland.

Manukau YMBC has a busy calendar for Hartley 16s, which are near the best in NZ.

Weymouth YC also has a fleet of mixed 16s, including Hartleys, a Quicksilver, and our Cherry.

We all race together over the winter, along with the Noelex 22 squadron, at MYMBC.

I'm not aware of any active trailer yacht racing on the shore. 

I think almost any 16 footer will fit the bill for what you are wanting. Being fully glass, I tend to think the Whiting would be easiest in terms of maintenance, although not knowing anybody with one, I cant be certain.

Cruising wise, almost any 16 should be fine for day sailing around the inner Gulf, and being trailable and light means that places like Kai-Iwi Lakes are also within reach. A 2L ute will easily tow any of them, and if it's 4wd then should be able to launch and retrieve pretty much anywhere as well.

Whatever you choose, have fun and enjoy it!

Archived