Mousing on furler forestay bottlescrew?

Kevin McCready

My furler (Reefurler) was spinning and getting in a tangle. I discovered that part of the problem (in addition to possible user error) may be that the mousing on the bottlescrew of the forestay had failed.

Some things are still bugging me.

1. Is the stainless mousing wire enough to handle the extra forces of the furling line and furler, or should I replace with something else?

2. The arms (the drum is not an enclosed container) on the furler might not be enough to stop it throwing loops of furling line in some conditions.

3. While troubleshooting I spun the whole unit a couple of times on its bottlescrew and noticed that a spinnaker halyard had got twisted around the forestay at the top. I spun it back but am not certain I've spun it the right number of times, although the halyard didn't seem to be twisted any more. 

mousing bottle screw.jpg

reefurl.jpg

Hi Kevin,

That mousing could do with replacement. Personally I use split pins and tape, but mousing is ok. Of course the idea is to stop the threads unwinding - so a longish split pin bent around the outside of the frame achieves this. Make sure the ends are inside the frame though, so they wont catch on sails or lines - tape as well to be certain.

Spinnaker or head sail halyards catching on the top of the furler are not uncommon. Put it on the fwd end of your bow rail, and lightly tensioned should keep it away from the furler... 

Cheers

Matt

Archived