DC cable for windlass 35mm sq

jonathan

Yeah I plan on tinned for all the up front DC and foot stuff, I have a 12m length of decent marine cable for the cockpit switch already.  Manged to get a maxwell reversing solenoid off trademe new for $150..   Wiring it all in this week

Yep, quite possible there are different units for the larger and smaller winches. Too many amps on too small solenoids will melt things. Provided the voltage is correct, the bigger units would work the smaller winches ok though. I really don't see the point in remote solenoids for a single direction winch though....even though I know some have them!

Yeah my winch is a cayman 88 and its 3 wire 12v 1000W, I run MASSIVE wiring to main batteries it pulls the full 1000W as is , its only wired for one direction at the moment, I did some research on the solenoid required, basically 2 wire or 3 wire depending on your winch type, I was going to go for a bog standard absolute marine one but the maxwell one was sold on trademe as someone didnt ever get round to installing it,  I did the original wiring on my windlass and relocated the circuit break myself 7 years ago, its running fine , I have just decided I want reverse and also cockpit for solo stuff....   also running a remote VHF mic console to the helm as well for the same reason, and will run cockpit speakers, if you are going to have the hassle of running wiring you may as well run the lot at the same time....

I really rate the cayman 88 winch its a monster.   you want a decent alternator though.

Massive - that is unclear. If you want help with cable sizing, or converting AWG to metric sizes, look here http://www.neptunes-gear.com/index.php/electrical-and-electronics.html in the heading stuff are the two links you want.

The winch stuff is often of the end of the charts, (too big) but there are also some good, online calculators. Lets take a typical example - if you have a 1200w winch, 7 meters from your battery. That is 100 amps at 12v, and a distance of 14m (distance is there AND BACK!).

That cable run would require just under 103mm2 surface area - DC ONLY! This is  AWG 4/0 or 11.7mm Dia cable - that is the conductor dia, NOT the cable. Yes, quite big.

ALWAYS use tinned cable. If you are in Auckland and want to do this, I have the appropriate crimpers - that I'll lend out with a deposit.

Guest pwederell

You're closest is likely to be Nelson. Try Rzoska Electrical +64 3-548 3401. If they don't have it they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Guest pwederell

Generally, any electrical wholesaler can get it for you...

Yes, but will they. My experience with wholesalers anywhere but Auckland is they don't even know what tinned cable is. For smaller wire sizes I find Burnsco to be the cheapest out of the Auckland area which is kind of wierd. Usually fly home with a couple of 100 metre rolls.

I've been able to get it at several places around the country, and there is someone selling on trademe (based in P.North I think) recently with pretty good pricing...But I guess you'll have to ask to find out!

Guest pwederell

Many are using welding cable from the likes of BOC. It works well but you do have to be anal about making sure any exposed wire is well protected from moisture... and will stay that way. Tinned is better but you can pay large for the privilege.

It it helps, for a 1000W 12V motor with a cable run between 10 and 20mts Maxwell wants you to fit a 34 sq mm which is a AWG 2 size.

If it was a 600W 12V they want to see 22 sq mm which is AWG4... 4 AWG???. For the same 10-20mt run.

If the run is less than 10mts, for the 1000W they want to see 22mm sq or AWG4.

For the 600W that's 14mm sq and AWG6

I'm not sure how you write that AWG bit sorry.

Remember the total cable run is both positive & neutral so double the distance usually.

Archived