Recent NOAA data on ocean heat content

eruptn

There is an interesting plot of the latest NOAA data on global ocean heat content in this story:

http://grist.org/news/this-chart-of-rising-ocean-temperatures-is-terrifying/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Daily%2520Jan%252023&utm_campaign=daily

Not your usual 'sea temperature' plot;  I'm wondering what is the baseline heat content of the ocean against which this change is being compared. Is it pre 1960's (start of plot) or the 'zero' in the 1980's. Impressive trend either way.

It's exactly the sort of question NOAA is happy to answer if it's not on their website already.

I've had a nice exchange recently with comms boss Erica Rule and scientist Neal Dorst.

Erica.Rule@noaa.gov
neal.m.dorst@noaa.gov

On cyclone forward speeds I asked:

Is it worth clarifying whether these averages vary over land/sea?
http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/G16.html

Answer:

Yes, these are the forward speed of storms over both land and sea.  The HURDAT database,

from which these speeds were derived, does not contain any information about whether the storm is over land or sea at any given point.  It would require a good deal of work and cross referencing a GIS dataset to make that distinction.
Neal Dorst

NOAA/AOML/Hurricane Research Division

Guest Ketchup

NOAA is both independent of political interference and highly reputable - so all the Righties, Kochs and Denialists have left is personal attacks against the scientists who work there. Quite sad.

Why do you think "righties" are against this and lefties are for it?

You really shows your colours there!

Many so called righties are for this and want all the measurement and talk to stop and some activity to negate the climate change to start.

Then there are many lefties who doubt this. in fact most who say nothing really doubt either the truth or any results if it is true.

Then the is the majority who do not know what to believe and don't care because life is to short! What they do know is ...

All these experts spend billions measuring and telling us "stuff" but none have come up with practicle solutions that will fix the problem. In fact they still fly on plaes drive cars and use fuels to power their homes.so they are no better than the so called "righties" you state as being non believers!

Amdnthe lefties still pollute awhile offering no solutions too!

Thus all the measurements in the world means nothing!

Guest Ketchup

Simple..

While Norman, the green party, Greenpeace and all the "so called lefties" keep burning fossil fuels ( in their homes, cars, air travel, Chinese made goods, the boat, etc.... nobody will ever take climate change/ocean heating seriously.

People can moan all they want but the reality is - the issue needs leadership on a grand scale!!!.... and there ain't none around this planet.

The yanks are worried about the east... oh and anything that has oil in it.

The east want to kill the west.

The Russians want to f*ck with their neighborhood

Everybody wants to f*ck the south pole.

Greece just wants to f*ck and not pay.

Nz want to play with the big fuckers, and drop their pants to do so.

China is a bigger fucker and want to dominate everything else, while no giving a f*ck about anything else. And creating all the pollution

Germany want to pay for all the fuckups but are going broke.

Iran are fuckers

Iraq is fucked

Egypt is on the way to being fucked

Israel wants to buy up all the fuckups.

Aussie.... just wingeing fuckers!

Dot dot dot

Meanwhile Rome / aka the environment burns and is all fucked up by the wars/pollution from wars... and a human race that just cannot get along together.... without fuckng to increase the population it cannot support, or f**king each other with money, guns, food, power, land religion...

Soooooo.... we all ignore all the "f*ck" and get on with our lives.

Noice work Ketchup, I think nothing will happen until the planets populations drop to prefarming levels and we can all go about our business of catching antelopes for dinner with sticks and sharp rocks whilst wrapped in bunny skins and then telling stories of the ancients who could fly and talk to each other telepathically or whatever. But a consensus is unlikely to be reached until people from the right countries start to die. A million dying Africans never made any difference to anything so maybe if western Europe slides under the waves we'll see some really serious finger pointing.

Guest Ketchup

Noice work Ketchup, I think nothing will happen until the planets populations drop to prefarming levels and we can all go about our business of catching antelopes for dinner with sticks and sharp rocks whilst wrapped in bunny skins and then telling stories of the ancients who could fly and talk to each other telepathically or whatever. But a consensus is unlikely to be reached until people from the right countries start to die. A million dying Africans never made any difference to anything so maybe if western Europe slides under the waves we'll see some really serious finger pointing.

Affirmative in that! :-)

OK. I get that there is some humor going on here. 

But I used to teach my students that all of us have an obligation to make the world a better place. 

To me, a big part of what makes Aotearoa so special is that most of you get that, and act on it. 

Guest Ketchup

AJ AJ AJ!?...

Do not be so naive!

Besides a anti Nuke stance decades ago (and nuke power add bugger all to climate change except when it goes wrong) what the Fork has NZ done to stop climate change?.... name me one thing.

A O tea A ROWER are like the rest of the world!...

We ( well the so called experts) measure stuff, in a small segment of the earths entire history, then proclaim there is a disaster pending.

We then have the usual "Hui's" and feed the press with all manner of data saying " you all have 2.5 seconds before we all burn in hell!

Then another expert say "bullshite_" its all normal.

Then the experts say its methane, carbon dioxide, blah blah that is the cause!

Another expert refutes that and says its the oceans or just natural cycles!

The Govt, greens, Greenpeace all Jump on / off the band wagon as it fits their political a gender.

Meanwhile they/we all drink milk (methane), drive cars (carbon dioxide, use plastics (oil). Wash our cars/boats (waste water) and do nothing!

AJ.... name one person on the planet right now that is reducing Carbon Dioxide or methane or anything that is creating pollution faster than they are increasing.

I would say 99% of the population do not care because they cannot change anything.

Sorry that is wrong 99% do care but because the cannot change anything the just ignore it and live their very short lives.

Archived