Electronics - they can get a bit complex these days

Island Time

I just thought a few of you might be interested in this pic. It is the under dash area of a boat I've been working on. You can only see about 1/2 the installed gear, but it will give you an idea - a bit more complex than the average yacht! 

Under Dash.JPG

I've been sorting out the Video Mux for the 5 cameras on-board, including FLIR. Plenty more work to do here!

Now a shameless plug - if you need electrical, electronic, or refrigeration work done, I'd be happy to give you a price! PC systems and instrument integration a specialty. Send me a PM, email here or ph 0221539176

Matt

Actually, most of it is not as bad as it looks, most of that stuff has IP ratings, and is at least splash proof - or at least the critical systems are. Also, it's not a small boat, and is unlikely to get wet - although it is a boat, so it could!! Many vessels are now fly by wire, and immersion could mean no steering, no engine etc etc.  

But yes, water in there I'm sure would not be good....

Willow, plenty of stuff like this at radio spares - see here

Personally I've tried to do away with most fuses on my boat - you need spares etc, and have mostly  circuit breaker/switch combinations, no need for spares, just pops the switch if overloaded. Fix the issue, push the switch again!!

Matt

Fly by wire , Devonport ferry. Dunno why that springs to mind.

I have instruments by addressograph multigraph and National Cash Register on my boat. They won't talk to each other, and when I think about it , I have trouble understanding what they're saying myself.

Can be right Benny, but if you want/need all the functions, not much choice. The aim is to keep the systems as simple as possible, with redundancy for core functions....

Yep agreed, I have to look at some of this stuff occasionally at work and it hurts... Always good to know someone in the business IT...

lost the little arrow thingy on my windgear about 6 months ago - now sailing using things like the Windex, people looking and calling breeze - oh, and a bit of the old skill I used to have., So far, had the best season racing for about 6 years. Mind you, was worried about Kawau night race but actually finished so well we were still in daylight. Still must order someone up to grab the windgear arm so I can glue on a new arrow - Raymarine 60 which Lusty and Blundell are unsure if they can supply just a new arrow but are happy to do the whole thing.

IT, I will give you a call when I get home. I need to interface a laptop with an Isatphone pro via USB. Tried to do it before the last RNI and failed miserably. Not having internet to update the fleet's trackers probably cost us the last leg...

Archived