Dean will be around a while yet.

While Burling obviously has a lot of talent, going from a small team/crew to one the size of Team NZ and the now 8(?) crew on the new cats is a leap.  Coutts did it right by bring Barker up as an understudy before letting him lose at the wheel and then in charge of the team.  Just because Burling has a huge amount of talent doesn't automatically mean he will be a good leader, it takes much more than just a great boat driver to win the cup.

While Barker was the face of the team partially on the boat he wasn't the only person in the team, Barker didn't lose the cup, the whole team did, both the on and off water crew.  It appears people seem to be taking pleasure out of a hate campaign against him and I don't think it's fair.

To throw Barker away and lose an immense amount of knowledge about how to make a team that size work both amongst themselves and with the designers etc  means Burling will have a huge learning curve ahead of him which risks putting them back into learning mode.

This is the bit that some of us need to recognise...

• Upvote 1

I think the media has a lot to do with this getting hyped up. Sure TNZ should have handled the media S*#! storm better, but how about the media, (who seems to be getting off on this) come out and name the source of all this info. Even better how about the "Source" grows some balls and comes out with a statement or interview for us all to see.....

• Downvote 1
Guest Ketchup

You "barker fans" are either naive or stupid.

Dean knew the writing was on the wall when he first had the huge Row with Dalton ( on arrival back into NZ from the dorking they took) remember that!

Dalton has had enough of Barkers poor / weak leadership and it was with Dalton or Barker.

Since there is no team without money Dalton was always going to be the person to keep. Dalton delivered the boat, superior Technology and the environment for Barker. Barker failed to inspire and lead the team to win. Barker made some bad call. As did Dalton (being on the crew, exposing the foils to early etc...)

Sorry "barker fans" but Barker right royally has screwed himself.

His "I am a loyal kiwi and will never swap camps myopic view" of the AC has left him in a situation where he has nk where to go. And if he did everybody on this site (especially the likes of clipper, smithy, Knotme,Erice, stuffy fluffy...) except me would lambast him as a traitor.

He also new that Dalton was going to get rid off him after his Post AC "loose lips". Dalton sees him as a liability.

So Barker has nobody to blame but himself.

Also the thought of keeping him in the team to mentor Burling is a huge joke. In foiling boats/ cats... where technical skill, fitness, big ball, and tactical noise are king... it would be Burling mentoring Barker.

Burling and the existing wing trimmer ( that excellent A class cat world champ from Aussie) are a very exciting opportunity.

Barker does not cut it.

His "I am a loyal kiwi and will never swap camps myopic view" of the AC has left him in a situation where he has nk where to go. And if he did everybody on this site (especially the likes of clipper, smithy, Knotme,Erice, stuffy fluffy...) except me would lambast him as a traitor.

Don't presume to know what or how I think.  Id tell you, but it would be an invitation to repeat more of the same sh*t.  

Guest Ketchup

Don,t think so clipper.

You are deflecting the topic because you know I am right and - you posted your disgust at The Coutts /berterelli issue.

People like you and the Anti Coutts campaign put Barker in this silly "loyal bullshit" situation.

He cannot go to any other team! Simple as!... he has snookered himself! Yet if the anticoutts w^&#$@r had never opened their stupid mouths he would be leaving and trying for another team.

• Upvote 1

Nothing else?

Ketchup, the question was regarding Burling, please do not reply with anything else.

So apart from the Red Bull Youth AC, there are no other examples of Burling winning on anything bigger than a dinghy with only two crew?

Guest Ketchup

What about evidence of Barker winning a ...

Olympic medal

A senior world championship

Anything in a fleet of more than eight.

Anything at all?... by himself and not part of a AC team

Anything without a keel and not loaded with the best crew?

Also anything with foils, two or more hulls and anything in a boat he actually owned.

Guest Ketchup

Balance and Gladwell ...yeah right!!

Gladwell cannot right an objective article when he has a conflict of interest with Kiwi Yachting which is part owned By Barker.

He also lives in the past and uses past records based on old AC boats that are suited to keel boat sailor. Using records that involve lead swingers means nothing now!

So many so called experts fail to comprehend that the AC is not a keel boat match race but a technology war where huge speed gains can be had by small tweaks in design.

These boats are specialized and need to be helmed by sailors like burling

The new AC class is still a big learning curve and suited to sailors like Burling. Not Barker.

This is evident with the performance of Barker in foiling moths and A class cats. Burling wins Barker is in 2nd division.

There is no balance In an article based of incorrect historical data that does not relate to the present nor future.

• Upvote 1

My daughter just made the comment that it is hardly fair to blame DB for TNZ losing when the other boat was 3-5 kn  faster - it wouldn't have mattered who was driving.

I would say that your daughter is a lot smarter than some or one of the anti anti Barker regiment :thumbup: .....

• Upvote 2

I was sure in the TV footage I saw more than just Dean on the boat, I wonder who they were and what they did, their added weight must have slowed the boat down.

A quick Google shows that Barker didn't lose, and neither did Spitall win, Team NZ lost, and Oracle won.  Both teams made up of a number of people, both sailing and non sailing.

I have no idea how many people are in Team NZ but I'd guess there are a few.  I have no idea what their contracts say but I am sure that the aim of each job in the team would be to assist Team NZ win the cup.

So, if we use the logic used elsewhere, then none of the team met their objectives so they should all go, some of them have been around even longer than Barker, they must be really bad for the team.  We could replace them with a totally green set of rock star individuals that will certainly win it for us. 

• Upvote 2