Dean will be around a while yet.

Guest Ketchup

Your daughter is only 47% right.

eTNZ was faster for the first 9 races. Maybe even first 10. Thats why they were 8:1 up.

Barker, as leader of the team, knew that Oracle was getting up to speed. He a Rod Davis were on National TV stating this! And what did they do to counteract the Oracle advance..... ZIP! zERO ZILCH.

Compare this with Spithill. He was 1:8 down and he and Coutts made big decisions to change the boat, crew and the way they sailed to_get back into contention.

Spit hill oozed confidence, led his team, worked with Coutts to make improvement and..... they did this with a 2 race starting deficit.

Spit hill did not look glum, talk it down, act gob smacked and start crying. barker did.

Coutts backed his men, made the big calls, and stepped up.

Dalton disqualified himself of the boat, had his head ( you can choose which one) in another place, stepped down, and ran short their funds (needed to make the late changes)

Barker had no back up plan and thought " more of the same" would overcome a "improving" Oracle.

Where was the back up helmsman option?

Where was the foil/control improvements?

Where was the ultra aggressive starting tactic to get Oracle penalised.

Sorry but Barker was weak, un prepared, not prepared to change, makimg mistakes under pressure. (Overriding ray Davis, poor slam dunk, poor starts, near capsize, poor use I'd "the cone" area wind shift, not insisting on change)... and as such took a faster boat (for most of the races) that had a 2 zip advantage, and failed to COMPLETE.

On a technical aside...

The biggest mistake ETNZ made was the failure to keep evolving foil design and foil control throughout their campaign and

Persist with Poe warmers.

Anybody could see that the foils were he biggest advancememt and in very early stages of development! As such the biggest gains were to be had with Foil design and control.

Coutts knew it. ETNZ failed to see it. Barker and Dalton, as leaders, failed to recognise the key area where speed gains would be made.

As a skipper (nott just helmsmam) having seen the huge influence the foils had made, when added to the design, would you not see this as the only area where you would bet the best gains and thus the best chance to go faster and win.

Coutts, Ainslie and Spit hill did!

• Downvote 3

I was sure in the TV footage I saw more than just Dean on the boat, I wonder who they were and what they did, their added weight must have slowed the boat down.

A quick Google shows that Barker didn't lose, and neither did Spitall win, Team NZ lost, and Oracle won.  Both teams made up of a number of people, both sailing and non sailing.

I have no idea how many people are in Team NZ but I'd guess there are a few.  I have no idea what their contracts say but I am sure that the aim of each job in the team would be to assist Team NZ win the cup.

So, if we use the logic used elsewhere, then none of the team met their objectives so they should all go, some of them have been around even longer than Barker, they must be really bad for the team.  We could replace them with a totally green set of rock star individuals that will certainly win it for us. 

Well said :thumbup:  .......... I think DB must have  turned down  or not selected one of his anti's once years ago in a crew selection .......... time to let it go and move on , yer lets  shoot the designers . builders . crew . sail-makers.  opps I'm putting ideas into his head

Guest Ketchup

I was sure in the TV footage I saw more than just Dean on the boat, I wonder who they were and what they did, their added weight must have slowed the boat down.

A quick Google shows that Barker didn't lose, and neither did Spitall win, Team NZ lost, and Oracle won. Both teams made up of a number of people, both sailing and non sailing.

I have no idea how many people are in Team NZ but I'd guess there are a few. I have no idea what their contracts say but I am sure that the aim of each job in the team would be to assist Team NZ win the cup.

So, if we use the logic used elsewhere, then none of the team met their objectives so they should all go, some of them have been around even longer than Barker, they must be really bad for the team. We could replace them with a totally green set of rock star individuals that will certainly win it for us.

Sorry but teams/organisations have leaders. They are accountable.

If a GM fails to ensure a winning culture, a good business plan, a profitable organization ... he is fired!.... you don,t blame the staff for poor management.

If a worker makes a mistake due to poor training, poor equipment, poor working conditions he is to blame and the manager is also accountable as well.

If Barker steers poorly how is that a grinders issue and why should he be blamed.

Skippers / CEO,s are paid big money to make big calls.

Coutts and Spithill did. Dalton and Barker did not.

A team without a leader is like a boat without a rudder. Leader/rudders direct the whole program/direction etc.-.

Sorry GW you arguement is flawed.

Guest Ketchup

A quick Google shows that Barker didn't lose, and neither did Spitall win, Team NZ lost, and Oracle won.  Both teams made up of a number of people, both sailing and non sailing.

I have no idea how many people are in Team NZ but I'd guess there are a few.  I have no idea what their contracts say but I am sure that the aim of each job in the team would be to assist Team NZ win the cup.

So, if we use the logic used elsewhere, then none of the team met their objectives so they should all go, some of them have been around even longer than Barker, they must be really bad for the team.  We could replace them with a totally green set of rock star individuals that will certainly win it for us.

also... the designer delivered a fast boat. The sailors proved that from races1-9/10.

What changed?.... sailors sailing the boats and Oracles improvement.

Once the boat was designed and built they were instructed to go down the "add on" route (pie warmers etc). Management directed this/agreed with this.

This was wrong. Oracle worked the foils angle!

Soooo if your boat so fast but being hauled in by a faster boat, and you cannot advance your foil programme to compete what do you do?....

You change your sailing approach/team/etc to overcome the threat.

BARKER AND DALTON DID NOTHING TOOVERCOME ORACLES "whispering death" of ETNZ.

COMPREHEND.

Guest Ketchup

Well said :thumbup:  .......... I think DB must have  turned down  or not selected one of his anti's once years ago in a crew selection .......... time to let it go and move on , yer lets  shoot the designers . builders . crew . sail-makers.  opps I'm putting ideas into his head

you may want to shoot them but they are not to blame. They did a excellent job considering the brief from management and the direction from management up until the second boats launching

you may want to shoot them but they are not to blame. They did a excellent job considering the brief from management and the direction from management up until the second boats launching

Sorry you have made another incorrect assumption  ,  if we had won the cup , they would have ALL got the credit , their job sheets would have had  winner of AC 2014 , Ra Ra I won the cup right down to the toilet cleaner , and no .. i do not want to shoot them  they all played an important part in the Cup but this ranting on about one team member out of how many ? ....... my question to you is ...... how much is Team Oracle paying you to be on this site  :wtf:

I can feel a fresh breeze kicking in , man I love that sea breeze , one of the many joys of living in the Bay Of Islands , Dean you are welcome to come on up any time and try to get my old dear going a bit faster . :thumbup:

• Upvote 3

yes that is really impressive ..... if I had a couple or even one of those wins under my belt  you would never hear the end of it  ( after a couple of rums  mind you ) we need this talent to stay so they will impart their knowledge onto the younger up and coming talent , most farmers tie the young pup up to the old working dog for a while ...

• Upvote 2

I have a horrible feeling that this Barker fiasco is going to go really bad for ETNZ. Hopefully I'm wrong but I just can't see Dean hanging around after this episode.

Hopefully the team will survive it, cause I've got a terrible feeling that it's going to get worse before it gets better.

• Upvote 1

Hope he stays on ;-)   we need the experience

Yeah same. The team would be better off hanging onto him. Just depends what the other offers are and how attractive the 9-5 role is for a family man. Having him on the executive committee would be interesting.