Help me spend money - Fit out in Tahiti, French Polynesia

Wannabe

So... I bought a 40' cat in Tahiti and the missus & I are gonna cruise around the South Pacific for the rest of the year.

The boat is somewhat 'bare' and i plan to put some cruising gear on board.

ie. Dinghy, Outboard, Solar, Wind genny, AIS, Radar, Water Maker, maybe an elec head, might replace the props, flexiteek (or similar) etc etc...

I'm working through the long winded process of figuring out exactly what I want, and also trying to work out weather I can buy it here and ship it over, or weather it will be better to buy locally in Tahiti.

The issue is complicated because the boat is not a 'yacht in transit' so I might have to pay full import duties / taxes etc... I'm still trying to work this out and my agent over there is not very responsive (on holiday in France).

So... does anyone have experience shipping stuff to Tahiti?

I'd love to pick your brain and/or hear what pearls of wisdom you may share!

Aside from that, I'd gratefully take any other pearls that may help me find decent suppliers and/or products in my long list of stuff I am buying.  (perhaps the subject of a bunch of individual threads).

Im heading back to Tahiti end of March.

ok, couple of issues. Here is my current understanding.

Are you going to register it in NZ? If so, do so now, and it then IS a ship in transit, and the parts can be bought GST free in NZ and then, marked as "spares" or "replacement parts" can be imported into Tahiti free of taxes, provided they leave (on the boat) within a set period. Alternatively you may have to pay import taxes, then have them refunded when you leave.

If you are interested I can supply Wind Gen, electronics, (Plotter or PC based), and set them up here, you can play with them, then pack up and just have to install them and connect power once there.

Send me a email or PM if your interested email here. If not, that's fine, carry on on here.

What electronics do you have (Auto pilot? Plotter? GPS? HF radio? Satphone? Pactor?, what is/are the alternators? Batteries? Alternator regulators? inverter?) 

Have you considered a composting toilet? (saves power, silent, zero discharge etc)

Jealous as! Best of luck to you!

Matt

Matt / Neptunes Gear - Yup I know who you are, and you're on my list of people to maybe talk to soon :) - You forgot to mention your 'free shipping to the islands' thing :razz:

RE: GST in NZ... thats reasonably straight forward, as long as I dont touch it, I can buy stuff here GST free and either have the vendor (like Neptunes Gear over there) ship it, or have a local shipping agent handle it - called something like collation or conglomeration or something I can't remember.  (a couple-a rums in)

My customs / duties / taxes issue is to do with the fact the boat is not 'passing through' French Polynesia.  It has been there for a few years, so I am exporting it, but I believe it fails the test for 'yacht in transit'.  Most yachts have come from either USA or Galapagos, and are heading to the Cooks - as such, they readily qualify as a 'yacht in transit'.  I'm still working through this. There is still some hope on this front, and logically, I should be able to get parts in duty free, but i'm thoroughly unconvinced.. There are language barriers, and i'm sure they deliberately make it impossible for you to work this stuff out without employing an agent.

For the benefit of anyone else reading, the two main marine suppliers in French Polynesia (biggest base in Tahiti) is Sing Tung Marine and Nautisport.

I'm also a little confused as to how you ship a RIB - sounds expensive to me.

Re: Sucking... Yup, It's a tough life, I know... truly miserable. 

edit1: Knot Me, i'll emai you, but I'm pretty sold on the Rocna 25/33

edit2: Oh, I must talk to BooBoo about making me a colored sail.

Hey Wannabe,

I tried to PM you but your inbox is apparently full!  I'm Lindsay from Canada, looking to get to the pacific islands soon now that my 1 year visa has nearly finished.  I am starting to network now, and going to hit the docks in Auckland to see if I can crew on a boat heading out.  It's a long shot, but are you looking for any help on your journey?! 

Anyways, any info you have would be helpful :)  cheers, Lindsay

my boat came through that way and came with a few books on the shelves

i'll want'em back but you are welcome to borrow some

best would be

"guide to navigation + tourism in french polynesia

marquesas, tuamoto, gambier, societies - tahiti, australs

charts, anchorages, passes, ports, tourism"

http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Navigation-Tourism-French-Polynesia/dp/2879231523

Just for general info - that will be because Erice's mailbox is full. The new system holds less than the old - I suggest you all check how many messages you have in your mailbox, and delete everything you don't need.

Yeah, I already did that (I had 96 out of 50) - I just deleted everything.

It would be nice to change the logic so that you find out before you write a message instead of after.

Would also be nice to change the error message so that it tells you the mailbox is full.

...t'would also be nice if someone can help me spend all this money!   :wave:

Archived