Moorings on Great Barrier island

Hi. Im moving a boat from Russell to Auckland and eventually on to Wellington but wanted to stop over for a night at Great Barrier Island. Does anyone know of a friendly mooring I can pick up in or around Port Fitzroy for the night ( mid week) ?

Cheers

Flynn

Just drop your anchor opposite the wharf at Ftzroy. There is plenty of room and it's good holding.

You're kidding right? The holding by the warf at port fitzroy is bad, and there is not much room with all the boat traffic. Your better to go to Wairahi bay or Smokehouse bay.

Just drop your anchor opposite the wharf at Ftzroy. There is plenty of room and it's good holding.

You're kidding right? The holding by the warf at port fitzroy is bad, and there is not much room with all the boat traffic. Your better to go to Wairahi bay or Smokehouse bay.

No I'm not.

It's deepish but apart from that it's fine. Never had any trouble. All the boat traffic? You been there at this time of the year! :-)

No I'm not.

It's deepish but apart from that it's fine. Never had any trouble. All the boat traffic? You been there at this time of the year! :-)

Hmmm... no. Only been there in summer so I could understand it being quieter now but it is also the only place I had my anchor drag. Good spot to go to the shops but would probably be a sleepless night for me.

Last time I looked the bar/bistro was only open certain times of the year. If that's changed that is fantastic.

Personally I think there are many better bays to stay at barrier overnight than Fitzroy. Fitzroy is normally crowded, it's deep and depending on the time of years its busy so you get lots of wash.

In behind Quion island by the water jetty can be nice if you want to be close to Fitzroy. There are lots of moorings there from memory. Otherwise take your pick of virtually any other bay. It's absolutely stunning out there all year around.

I'm looking forward to my annual pilgrimage :D

Flynn, don’t let them put you off. Port Fitzroy is great for the local shop and the pub in the evening. It’ll be very quiet at this time of year. I would say the anchorage is of medium difficulty. Don’t just throw it over the side and hope for the best! :D

If you don’t want that then head for one of the many beautiful bays.

I have anchored in Fitzroy in all weather and almost everywhere but the ferry channel. Good holding, deep in parts, shelter from most weather. If you ask the gas station guy he may let you tie up to the wharf overnight if it is quiet. Shop has a garden bar, Yacht club is good but check open times. Have fun it a nice stop over.

Hi Flynn,

I live at Port FitzRoy and if you are worried about holding on anchor you can ask the guy who sells fuel on the wharf about moorings. He will usually know if there's one you can hook up to but there's always somewhere in the harbours around here that is safe to anchor in any wind. Check www.thebarrier.co.nz; boaties page for anchorages, DineOut for opening hours of The Boat Club and the store is open 6 days a week 9am-5pm during winter.

Cheers

Kay