New to cruising - what would you have on board?

Hi CruiseTalkers!

Apologies if this has been covered before!  Excited to have taken ownership of a 40ft that needs some stuff in it, so a bit of an open question.  Apart from the obvious (though do feel free to state the obvious!), what would be the first things you'd put on a cruiser, or would not do without?  Also the "wish I knew about that years ago" tips would be awesome!  Any words of wisdom or experience really.

Thanks very much!!

Hmm, very open question! What type of boat, cruising where, for how long, and with what crew? In the first instance, a suitable boat in good condition is required! With more info, perhaps we can provide a better reply!

Oh, and congrats on the boat, and welcome aboard!????

Someone said on here a while ago which I thought was spot on.  Dont second guess . Sail it for a season and it will all become crystal clear.

+1 Just go sailing. We are coming up to 3 years now without doing anything (as a result of the deal I did with the previous owner - we will own her outright in Oct this year). In that time the work list has actually shrunk as I have realised that what the designer and previous owners had already was working pretty well.

a chartplotter and depth sounder that will tell you about things that you may be about to run into and a good anchor system that will keep you in one place in a blow. Oh and preferably 2 of the important bits , ie 2 motors , 2 rudders and 2 hulls :thumbup:

Agree with a decent anchor, sounder and reliable engine.  Could live without a plotter as, although real nice to have, you can get away with handheld gps or phone. Would rather get a decent autopilot first.

A good dodger makes things so much more pleasant when bashing into a seaway, although you are cruising so there isn't really an excuse for going upwind.

Good batteries and alternator often top my list, although I love our new solar panels.

Also after years of stuffing around with engine run compressor fridges we bit the bullet and brought a self contained electric a couple of years ago and haven't regretted it. the solar easily keeps up.

I've always found that  family who pesters you to go sailing is about top of the list. To that end I'd suggest that you take it easy and choose your weather for the first season, not frighten them , and then you'll get that ok.

• Upvote 1

cheap cans of beans

at 65 cents from pak'n'sav

they're a drink and a meal in 1 that keeps for years and doesn't need heating ;-)  

- small white board + marker, so while you are preparing to sail somewhere you can tune to channel 21 and write the down write the important information

- tide times + heights

- wind direction - strength, now and expected

- swell 

• Upvote 1

cheap cans of beans

at 65 cents from pak'n'sav

they're a drink and a meal in 1 that keeps for years and doesn't need heating ;-)  

- small white board + marker, so while you are preparing to sail somewhere you can tune to channel 21 and write the down write the important information

- tide times + heights

- wind direction - strength, now and expected

- swell 

is that baked beans or green beans because baked beans can affect the wind strength and direction quite considerably eric.

Thanks for the replies! All very valid and no doubt time on the water will lead to more specific questions! I do actually have one - any thoughts on the solar powered vents? To replace a cowl vent (for the heads) that has a habit of fouling the genoa sheets. Or is a simple low profile one a better option?

Led lights, smart alternator regulator, ditch the power hungry cd player and speakers and get a blue tooth speaker for music from your phone. 

Stove top espresso, cockpit shade whether bimini or boom tent.

Fix any deck leaks, need to be dry down below.

Decent dinghy.

What other people have said about the anchors, auto pilots and such.....but especially the bacon.

stove top coffee expresso maker ++++

bean bags

25L containers for getting fresh water to boat (take one each trip to shore if there is water there)

chartplotter at helm, usefullness depends on where you are

some way to climb decent distance up mast (steps etc) so you can send someone up to guide through coral

laptop - other crusiers will swap usb sticks of charts/book pdfs etc

obvious spares

I reckon 25ltr containers are verging on too heavy if you have to move them far. 20ltr is better.  Mast steps are great, but Fwd Sonar is better than someone up the rig for coral. Works in all lights, cloudy water etc. B&G's one is about $1500, so not that expensive. Yes, you can manage without one - most do - but it does make it easier!

Absolutely Chart Plotter at the helm - once you have had one, you won't go back!

Tradition states that there are 3 things you don't need:

Wheel barrow, umbrella and a naval officer!!

From UK Services Compo food packs, the boiled sweets packed inside a tin stay good for a long, long time until open when they immediately vanish!! 

The tins of creamed rice were prized as they can be eaten cold straight from the tin in the tropics or warmed up for colder nights or in higher latitudes. Good comfort food that seems to settle many stomachs!!

To really enjoy cruising I would suggest a highly paid cook/chefette will help the relaxing a lot.

As I don't enjoy cooking, this works for me!! (However I have done a lot of dish washing to compensate and reward the chef!

for those afraid of beans 

these should keep in the cupboards for years

seem to be in all the supermarkets, warehouse etc

tasty too

2 boil in bag sachets, complete with dish + fork

sunrice-thai-green-curry_4f31baaec5890.j

786898.JPG