Multihull Racing and events for next season?

Yes some great ideas there. 

Earlier last season I proposed a fairly similar idea but at Kawau. I had also sorts of things in place, but in the end little real support for the regatta. 

One of our problems is how the boats have evolved, and how their owners prefer to use them. The racing boats are now just for that, with little accommodation, or desire to stay aboard. There are few 'cruiser racers' around, and many dedicated cruising boats.

Also of course there is a very full program in Auckland of racing and events.

The Anniversary weekend at Mahurangi and Kawau has been very successful in the past, and I still feel it's the easiest one to build on. Friday evening race to Mahurangi, with lots of other clubs doing the same thing. Lots of family events with the Classic Yachts and Mahurangi Cruising Club ashore on the Saturday. I could organise a race start on the Sunday to Kawau if there was interest. Sandspit is already doing a race and we could possible tag along. The new Kawau Yacht Club is going well, and deserves to be supported. Finally, there could be a race back to Auckland. This whole event could involve both racing and cruising boats. Possibly some of the 8.5s could buddy up with a larger cat.

Who's keen?

A couple of random ideas...

(1) In my PT days there was a regatta held in Bream Bay every year.

It was a two day event titled something like "Upper North Island Paper Tiger Challenge" and the idea was that Northland boats could race without the journey down country, and the Auckland boats got to travel north. It was open to all small cats, and run, IIRC, jointly by the NZPTOA and Marsden YC.

Not certain, but I think even TC may have attended a few of these.

Maybe something similar could be organised for bigger boats? Plan it for a 3day weekend, and visitors could take friday off to sail there (from Aucks or BOI) and sail home again on Monday.

I'm sure Whangarei Cruising Club could put on some entertainment at Parua Bay. Maybe they could even organise some parking in case the weather doesn't play ball.

This could provide the chance for all the north-based boats to sail on slightly more local waters. 

and (2)... Shamelessly borrowed idea from Thornbury SC in SW England. Family week.

A fun race week, with a whole heap of crazy fun events. BBQ for breakfast each day, teams organised to each cook a communal dinner each night. BYO Lunches 'cos we'd be out racing/cruising/whatever.

Fun races, perhaps one where you have to take the dinghy ashore to pick up a tag a few times at strategic points, kind of like orienteering, but in boats.

Perhaps a wheel race, where six or seven points  are chosen as rounding marks, and all must be rounded the same way (port/stbd) but in any order, except that you must round the centre "hub" after each mark.

Prizes awarded for race winners (HCP) as well as best oopsie, worst dressed, youngest person seen on the helm, or anything else the OD sees fit.

At TSC we also had a marquee, with karaoke etc on in the evenings, not sure whether that bit could be done.

The Anniversary weekend at Mahurangi and Kawau has been very successful in the past, and I still feel it's the easiest one to build on. Friday evening race to Mahurangi, with lots of other clubs doing the same thing. Lots of family events with the Classic Yachts and Mahurangi Cruising Club ashore on the Saturday. I could organise a race start on the Sunday to Kawau if there was interest. Sandspit is already doing a race and we could possible tag along. The new Kawau Yacht Club is going well, and deserves to be supported. Finally, there could be a race back to Auckland. This whole event could involve both racing and cruising boats. Possibly some of the 8.5s could buddy up with a larger cat.

Who's keen?

Count me in. 

Sail up Friday arvo/evening, family stuff with MCC on the Saturday, race to Kawau and enjoy KYC hospitality Sunday, then sail/race home Monday.

Tagging on to existing races would make it easier for all involved.

Are there places one could pitch a tent for the night, or would we have to sleep onboard? As yet I haven't got as far as the interior, I'm still working on the sailing setup.

Count me in. 

Sail up Friday arvo/evening, family stuff with MCC on the Saturday, race to Kawau and enjoy KYC hospitality Sunday, then sail/race home Monday.

Tagging on to existing races would make it easier for all involved.

Are there places one could pitch a tent for the night, or would we have to sleep onboard? As yet I haven't got as far as the interior, I'm still working on the sailing setup.

I have a couple of Pop Up tents for between the bows - they work great.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/camping-outdoors/tents/3-4-person-tents/auction-960064892.htm

Would like to do more sailing around Kawau area ... time is the issue and space in the racing calendar. 

All this could of course lead to the ultimate teams racing competition, the 8.5s and bigger race boats team up with a cruising boat and combined results for things each has to do go to make up the final points results. Race boats maybe elapsed time points etc, cruisers have the challenge of getting there and making things cosy for the raft up with extra points for fish size caught while underway and a proportionate handicap based on something - TC jump in here - unless of course you suggest it's a system based on screen size, amp power and how many people you can entertain - you will win every time!!

All this could of course lead to the ultimate teams racing competition, the 8.5s and bigger race boats team up with a cruising boat and combined results for things each has to do go to make up the final points results. Race boats maybe elapsed time points etc, cruisers have the challenge of getting there and making things cosy for the raft up with extra points for fish size caught while underway and a proportionate handicap based on something - TC jump in here - unless of course you suggest it's a system based on screen size, amp power and how many people you can entertain - you will win every time!!

I'll be on your team Bill!

We must get a Mouthie BBQ sorted this year too... it's been far too long! 

I encourage all the large cruising multihulls that get Cat 1 to join the NZMYC, (Ok not all of them do, but most do) so there should be a data base of cruising as well as active racing boats.

Sounds like this all has some momentum happening, especially when you look at how many have viewed this topic! Keep the ideas coming, and tell us all if you are interested in joining in. 

If we pen in Anniversary weekend at Mahurangi and Kawau, then someone with the race calendar needs to pick a weekend for the Motuihe event. Then there is Easter. Have we just got a three weekend cruising series going??

Penned in Anniversary weekend at Mahurangi. We shall take all the cruising gear, squabs, large full chilly bin, cooker, large boom tent, dinghy, bean bags etc etc.

Would possibly like to moor the boat in Mahurangi for the whole of January if anyone knows of a mooring that we could rent?

Just got to fix that hole in the bow first.

Penned in Anniversary weekend at Mahurangi. We shall take all the cruising gear, squabs, large full chilly bin, cooker, large boom tent, dinghy, bean bags etc etc.

Would possibly like to moor the boat in Mahurangi for the whole of January if anyone knows of a mooring that we could rent?

Just got to fix that hole in the bow first.

Not so much a hole in the bow, a whole bow.

• Upvote 1

Am I missing something??

That link seems to have all the guff about the inaugural race, which was Jan 31 this year?

Not to mention that (I think) that's anniversary weekend, which I also think has just been penned for Mahurangi/Kawau.

Given the choice I'd rather stay close to shore at this stage, especially considering I'm still in development phase, haven't made it to "beta testing" thus far!

Am I missing something??

That link seems to have all the guff about the inaugural race, which was Jan 31 this year?

Not to mention that (I think) that's anniversary weekend, which I also think has just been penned for Mahurangi/Kawau.

Given the choice I'd rather stay close to shore at this stage, especially considering I'm still in development phase, haven't made it to "beta testing" thus far!

Yea sorry, we have had an issue with the site move to a larger server for the Coastal - I have made the updates but they have not been released yet. 

We now have a date for the Barrier Race! 

Mid March, good call!

Is there an official category for this?

I only ask because I'd love to join in, but am unlikely to be cat 3 and up to date by then.

That said, a lot of the basic equipment will be onboard anyway, I'm just not very likely to have bought a new flare pack. We have flares, just recently expired ones. 

Mid March, good call!

Is there an official category for this?

I only ask because I'd love to join in, but am unlikely to be cat 3 and up to date by then.

That said, a lot of the basic equipment will be onboard anyway, I'm just not very likely to have bought a new flare pack. We have flares, just recently expired ones. 

It's all a bit loose right now, it's not Cat 3 just 4+ Dinghy etc.

Once we get an idea of numbers we can sort out divs - GBE's obviously have their own division and the GBE shield.

At the latest NZMYC committee meeting I raised the issue of trying to better link the Waitemata and Kawau Bay fleets. The above ideas are good places to start for boats that can be cruised.

Another idea could be to try and organise something for the Saturday of Squadie weekend (12-14 Feb), possibly an exception for NZMYC members to join the the round the island race so that local (and none RNZYS) boats could join in. This might motivate more Waitemata multis to come up for the weekend too, being a win/win for RNZYS and NZMYC. 

We're out for squaddie weekend. Eldest daughter will be "triathloning" somewhere which means I'll be chauffeur, mechanic, support crew, and cheerleader.

Between sailing, triathlons, and karate tournaments its no surprise the lawn swallows the cars between mowings!

Ps next weekend we're both competing at the nz karate champs.

Mate we really already have this. Auckland Anniversary is attended often by cruising multihulls. On the Saturday there is lots of kids events on the beach at Sullivans Bay at Mahurangi. Then there is the classic yacht regatta to watch. We often manage a modest raft up and get together. There is the option of a big band at Scotts landing on the Saturday night. Then we typically go to Kawau for the Sunday evening. It is usually a very fun weekend.

I'm sure there are other weekends we could do more family cruising events at too though. Keep the suggestions coming!

Now we have brought Great Barrier Express I am pretty sure wife and kids will want to do Mahurangi

At the latest NZMYC committee meeting I raised the issue of trying to better link the Waitemata and Kawau Bay fleets. The above ideas are good places to start for boats that can be cruised.

Another idea could be to try and organise something for the Saturday of Squadie weekend (12-14 Feb), possibly an exception for NZMYC members to join the the round the island race so that local (and none RNZYS) boats could join in. This might motivate more Waitemata multis to come up for the weekend too, being a win/win for RNZYS and NZMYC. 

:thumbup: