Cyclone Pam

ex Elly

Not that bad.  I got bored and went to bed.  My boat is fine  :thumbup:

Good thing Pam went past so far out.  Here in Whangarei it gradually built all day, peaked out at around 70 knots here about 9pm for about half an hour and then eased off a bit again.  Just wet now with very welcome rain.   Looks to be passing closer to the coast round east cape way so they might get more wind than up here.

Was very bumpy and noisy here in Opua and it peaked close to midnight but much calmer now. I'll pop out in the dinghy in a while to check Black Panther and that other guy's boat but I expect all will be ok.

Was very bumpy and noisy here in Opua and it peaked close to midnight but much calmer now. I'll pop out in the dinghy in a while to check Black Panther and that other guy's boat but I expect all will be ok.

The other fella (Webb's) boat is okay. He just emailed me that someone else had seen her fine and dandy this morning.  Cheers mate.

It's actually just got up again to 40-ish but blowing SW so directly down the estuary. I'll pop back out to both boats shortly. But on the upside the sun is out again!

Hey AC , if you happened to see Wonderland , ( 40 ft Perry)could you just eyeball her a bit for anything astray. There is a guy there looking after her but it would be nice to tell her caretakers overseas that she's OK.

Something is deeply wrong with parts of the Vanuatu psyche.

This is from the NZ Herald article:

"a newspaper in Vanuatu had downplayed Cyclone Pam, publishing a front page story on Thursday that it was a tropical low that posed no threat.

"Even on the radio, they were saying 'if you pray, it will go away'."

Hey AC , if you happened to see Wonderland , ( 40 ft Perry)could you just eyeball her a bit for anything astray. There is a guy there looking after her but it would be nice to tell her caretakers overseas that she's OK.

Approx where is she?

It is a terrible thing to see the photo of Timberwolf up against the bridge. My heart really goes out to Tim. We seem to have got off lightly here. Easterlies don't pose much of a problem in the estuary where the Offender lives, she is fine this morning. But low tide looked like a mid-tide. It will be interesting to see the beach at high tide today.

Anxiety is building over the fate of Vanuatu charter boat operator Simon Hamer, whose Tauranga-based family has not heard from him since Cyclone Pam hit.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11417913

http://www.sunlive.co.nz/news/95672-tauranga-yachtsman-safe-and-well.html

UPDATED 12.12pm: Tauranga yachtsman Simon Hamer is safe and well following the devastating effects of Cyclone Pam in Vanuatu.

Simon's son, Barnaby, contacted SunLive to say: "My dad has been in contact now and he is fine. So is the boat."

Just been for a drive about all seems well with no boats obviously out of place.

Here are the 2 I checked. I can't readily see Wonderland but there are a lot of boats around and I don't know where I'm looking for her eg on mooring or marina?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ok well if you get any more specific info about location I'll try to find her but otherwise as I said there don't seem to be any problems around. Damn wind keeps gusting back up though.

Ok well if you get any more specific info about location I'll try to find her but otherwise as I said there don't seem to be any problems around. Damn wind keeps gusting back up though.

Thanks for the pic of Gannet, Rob.

I tried to PM you a thanks, but again it won't let me send msg.

I've emailed the pic onto Webb.

Cheers

Just found this on the deck - the plastic thing not the beer top - that's for reference. Bloody hate it when that happens - anyone got any idea what it's from?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Archived