Ports Expansion

Yup, folks its time to stop these buggers stealing our harbour.

http://stopstealingourharbour.co.nz/

I hate web sites that play music automatically, even more so when there's no obvious off button.

But in respect to the topic you present Priscilla. People want to be able to keep buying more and more and more cheap stuff that originates overseas. That means bringing it in more and more containers by ship. 

• Upvote 1

We're talking about used cars and empty shipping containers, that's what POAL import, not consumer goods.

Our harbour is not the place to park other countries cast off sh*t - used cars.

We're talking about used cars and empty shipping containers, that's what POAL import, not consumer goods.

Our harbour is not the place to park other countries cast off sh*t - used cars.

Agree... BUT... Someone must be buying it to get it here...

The Port doesn't buy it, just provides a service for those who do.  

I don't want this anymore than you guys, but the consumerism has to stop first, not the ports...

I'll be there at the demo on Sunday!

These arseholes did this in secret and made the decision BEFORE the final report on the port's future is released and discussed.

Same bunch of arseholes run a system to let an "independent" Duty Commissioner decide in secret that 300 year old kauri tree and ancient rimu (including on the public road reserve) could be cut down after describing it as "vegetation". I was at sea for 8 days and missed that bit of fun but caught up with the brilliant reporting of Kane Glass - (watch the tame bureaucrat forced to admit that a "threshold" is his personal "judgement" and watch tame legal counsel of council forced to admit that Penny's attempt to silence David Taipari is flawed.

Sorry to stray from the topic but I see a pattern here and we should let Lenny and Penny know what we think. I'm all for progress but not for secret deals without democratic input.

Whatever the rights or wrongs of the Port’s expansion from an economic perspective - which doesn’t seem that compelling when you think they have to import lots of cars, to pay a dividend to their owner, who then has to expand the transport system to cope - the continued reclamation of our amazing harbour surely has to stop.  It’s depressing enough seeing the mudcrete being poured into the end of Fergusson Wharf as part of their already permitted extensions.

I felt bad enough attending the last Anniversary Day regatta prizegiving, sponsored by Ports, but knowing now that they pushed through their last carpark expansion plans on a non-notified basis I won’t participate in another regatta sponsored by this outfit - it won’t make much of a difference I know but if enough other yachties vote with their feet it might send some kind of a signal.  Not wanting to take away anything from the excellent work by the regatta organisers, but in my view this is now the wrong sponsor to have onboard.

Nope, unfortunately we are blessed with two and both repeat offenders.

AM/OC and Ketchup with his multiple personalities.

Their entertaining until they become tiresome

Careful guys, stay within the site rules!

You may not make personal attacks on another member without risk of earning warning points or being banned yourself. If you don't like a post, vote it down, or respond to the post, not the poster. The rules are on the top tabs if you need to refresh your memory. Keep it polite and friendly, and you'll be fine. 

I'm currently trying to decide how many negative points a member should acquire to result in a 1 month ban. I''m thinking maybe 50?

Matt

Made secretly

it was old news last year and that was the time to continuously  protest. Amazingly you all took the bribe to vote national with a $1 billion dollar hand along for your rapid rail at the expense to all other NZ ders.

I PPROPOSED AN ALTERNATIVE WHEN IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR ALTERNATIVES BUT MOST ON THIS WEBSITE WHERE MORE INTERESTED IN GETTING ME BANNED RATHER THAN SUPPORT THE ALTERNATIVE

You raise some interesting points. Re Wellington - let's hope for their sake they take heed from the crap we now face ourselves with. Re harbour usage - I think it's more about the loss of public accessible and amenable navigable waters for recreation and the associated view from significant public points in the city than it is about where racing might take place.

I am interested In having you clarify two things for me please. When last year was this news - point me to a news article please. Also I'd like to know your alternative - please point me to it on crew. The current board seem devoid of progressive ideas and so any alternative ideas are actually very beneficial to the 'conversation' Len would now like to have.

• Upvote 1

Er . . . isn't that the point? Last year Council voted to oppose reclamation - why would you need continuous protest as a consequence? This year they've been king hit from behind by the POAL based on a legal opinion that this morning has been referred to as wrong in law. This latest act by POAL has brought on the protest action we now have.

Are you suggesting that we should protest continuously something on the basis that, even though our elected officials might act appropriately today, they may not tomorrow?

Shame we can't drag out your alternative . . . I'm sure Matt would have the means if not the motivation.

Oh - I didn't bother responding to the other stuff because, as is type with most of what you write, it made no sense. I barely made sense of the stuff I did refer to - but I don't think I'll bother anymore.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

eight_col_Central_Wharves_Strategy_4.jpg

If the proposed extension to Capt Cook wharf goes ahead - it will cut the view down.

wharf etns.jpg

lines based on drawings I have not been able to check.

The coloured lines are the cut off point on Queens wharf for looking down harbour.

Green line, existing wharves

Blue line, Cpt Cook extended

White line, Bledisloe extended.

So who wants to see Capt Cook Wharf extended?

We'll be there, time to stand up & be counted. It seems a massive conflict of interest that our "tax & spend" council, who seem to view Ports as a nice cash cow, are also responsible for deciding whether this can proceed or not.

Why is Marsden not an option? Is it because Tauranga owns it? The problem is the council should have sold it back when it was just the harbour board and now they wouldn't have any vested interest in it and not be able to hide behind bullshit laws of their making..