Ports Expansion

Northland Port Corporation (NZ) Limited / Marsden Maritime Holdings Limited ("MMH") part owns North Port

- Northland Regional council - 53.6%

- POAL - 19.9%

North Port:

- Marsden Maritime Holdings Limited 50%

- PoTL 50%

North Tugz

- POAL 50%

- North Port 50%

Was a very good protest rally today, calm atmosphere with a number of good speeches. Most impressive flotilla, very difficult to count but the Herald said 300 boats which seems about right, could have been up to 500, definatly several hundred. A wide range of boats from large launches, fizz nasties, top shelf racers, classics, classic cruisers, modern cruisers, the Riverhead ferry, peidies, magic 25s, a couple in a dory with a NO sign, some kayakers, mint as gin palace, you name it, it was out there, a very broad cross section of boaties and water users.

Jacinda Adern had a very good speech, she read out a private email from POAL to her, which was them criticising a press release she made. The short answer is they were factually wrong, but we're trying bluff and bullshit to try and shut her up. POAL's privat email was basically commical.

I'll see if I can work out how to post photos...

AM good to hear you took the time to watch it on TV and then to post about it on here.

It was really refreshing to see so many people out standing up for something they feel important, with real boat names in the public arena, rather than our imaginary names and inconsequential posts on here...

Each one of those boats on the water and people on the wharf are standing up to be counted, regardless of if there were 80 or 500.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Interesting the overfalls and whirlpools bit, around the bridge on the springs can be a bit swirly, Kauri Point can be bouncy and definitely the confluence west of Meola can be exciting in 40 kts against a strong tide but I havent seen a whirlpool in the Waitemata, anyone care to elaborate?

What Chris Dickson actually said was as a young kid, he used to sail dinghies in the harbour, now it is too dangerous to do that, being to let kids sail small boats in the area around the wharfs and general vicinity. He also made comment of other water users, being paddle boarders, not being able to get around the extended container wharf, as the currents are too strong, and there are rips and eddies etc.

The area along Tamaki Drive / Judges bay is popular with various water users other than just yatchies, being waka ima, paddle boarders, kayakers etc, but that is full blocked now by the extended container terminal there by the Marine Rescue Centre. The tide fair rips around there now, this is affecting the utility, I.e. The usability of the water adjacent to and either side of the container terminal.

There appears to be some taking out of context of this part of his speech, but I beleive it is fairly self fulfilling in that a lot of people don't understand how the present wharf extensions have changed the tides and currents there, because the wharf areas are not a pleasant place to be now, everyone stays away from those areas and don't see just what impact they are making.

As a case in point, if we ever have to go around North Head and track up the harbour towards West Haven, we always stay well over on the Devo side, the wharf side is just not a nice place to be, big ship movements, strong tidal currents, in a recreational boat I don't want to head into a heavy industry area, but that heavy industry area is in the heart of the harbour, and encroaching further into that harbour.

On National radio yesterday, Mike Williams stated that the port in Los Angeles handles one third of all imports into the US.

It's footprint is roughly the same size as Auckland's port. Surely that's an indication of how inefficient the use of the port land is.

Williams said the main difference between the two ports is that nothing stays at the port in LA. It is railed or trucked straight out.

Interesting.

• Upvote 1

This is where you find your local body councillor

http://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/EN/AboutCouncil/representativesbodies/Pages/Wardcouncillors.aspx

tell em what you think.

I only used the word megalomaniacs twice, and the phrase 'underhand and opaque' once.

To my regret , I left Machiavelli out. Someone else might like to use that in an email.

Because these guys are carried away with power , are ruthless, and they need to be reined in.

I can't argue whether you are right or wrong as I have never been to Los Angeles Sundreamer. However I have always found Williams to be a fairly measured commentator. The interview on RNZ is worth listening to as both commentators on the left and right were singing from the same songsheet, which, to me anyway, implies this protest has major traction. Manapouri revisited?

I listened to Hosking and his studio mate scoffing at the protest or issue yesterday morning on the radio. He is in a position of power himself , with his profile, and he's  mocking people on national radio who don't think 'progress' at any cost is the way to go.

Then he went onto an" interview" with a Ports PR guy  who is at some other place, at some other time no doubt, answering pre arranged questions with a smoothly false patter leaving me thinking POA are  baby kissers ,tree huggers and the answer to all the problems in the free world, instead of the ruthless bunch they actually are. 

Butter and teflon ran out of the radio.

Jeez Johnny ! You should know better than listening to Mike the moron.

I suspect it wasn't butter and teflon coming out of your radio, more likely from the other end of the food process !!

Everyone is overlooking the real issues.

Firstly, that PoA somehow had RC passed in their favor without the Public knowing there was anything tabled to read and voice opinion on.
Secondly and the main issue IMO, it is not about the tide flow. In fact that is a red hearing. They are going to use Piles so tide still flows under the structure. The main issue is that the entrance into the Harbor is going to be reduced in width by 150m. Anyone that has headed in or out of that bottle neck knows what it is like to navigate all the idiots going every which way. But it is a nightmare at "rush hr" on a Summer Sunday late afternoon when everyone is heading home after a lovely long weekend. Now take 150m out of that and imagine what Kaos is going to be.
       Thirdly, add to No2, a much larger Container Vessel navigating in or out. And these new vessels are huge. So huge, that Panama is about to get a major enlargement to take them. Also on the cards is a whole new canal. Whatever, these ships are not just a few metres longer. They are massively bigger in everyway. Like 3 times or more the container carrying capacity. Extra warf is not just so they can store more containers, but so they can park a Ship and those Ships are going to be trying to navigate into the harbor. Ships 100m or more longer as well as much wider.
      Slightly unrelated, but for some reason, many in Whanagrea have this strange notion that the Auck Port is going to go to Marsden Pt. So much so that land in that area has been sold and bought for expansion.
     In my view, the Port is a dinosaur in the wrong location. It is prime waterfront space that is being rented out to air inside steel boxes. Get rid of it. I am pretty sure that the money that could be made from development and renting to people in concrete boxes would be far more profitable and look a heck of a lot more atteactive to the City.

• Upvote 2

Can't disagree about the location wheels, but do we really want a waterfront lined with buildings like those 2 architectural masterpieces at the

bottom of Anzac Ave. 'Scene' apartments I think they are called.

They are bloody ugly and a blight on the land/seascape, and if that is the alternative then I'm not sure we have won anything.

Council have wanked on about connecting people with the harbour while quietly allowing the reduction of that very harbour to occur and in my view -

make no mistake, they would have known. There have been deals done.

At least if it does go to shipping and the ships are as monstrous as they sound, their will be some spectator interest as the Sunday charge navigates their way around the behemoth being flailed by a cheeky sou' wester.

Hi Wheels,

I think the largest container ships that have been to Akl have an LoA ~298m, unable to load to max draft.

They talk 8000TEU, currently getting ships with capacity around 5000TEU

8000TEU ship approx. dimensions LoA 315-350m beam ~43m, draft ~14.5m

some larger ones

10000TEU - 300m x 46m

13000TEU - 366m x48m

QM2 is 346m x 41m

Apart from draft there is already a vessel with similar length for people to get an idea of the length of containerships they talk about for the future.