More boat buying advice

TonyB

That looks like a neat Marauder, the Bukh diesel will run for years if maintained even half properly they weigh so much they have their own gravity around them and are built with steam engine technology. There have been a few Davidson 28's sold in the BOI area in the last year for about $15k bargains. But I think the desperate to sell days might be numbered.

With regard to the swing mooring comments I thought it was common knowledge that a swing mooring was the best way to moor your boat not the most convenient and not necessarily if it's in a poor location, although it would have to be a pretty poor location, but definitely the best in terms of weathering and UV damage even driving rain.

I maintained a classic boat for 15 years on a mooring , and then another 7 or 10 on the westhaven piles , and then moved it to a marina for 2.

Every year we'd pull at Okahu and paint , antifoul and do varnish etc.

When we moved to the piles it roughly halved the maintenance needed, when we moved to the marina berth , it halved that again , roughly. Much extended paint life , much extended antifoul life.I don't know why I didn't do it years earlier , because the cost of the extra work was definitely offset by the cost of the berth. Not to even mention the access and the convenience. Not to mention the sweat every north easterly storm and the reduced insurance premiums.

" why is paint and varnish life extended on marina? "

Movement ,chafe , stress, other boats hitting you, but mostly that green slime that you clean off the waterline only to find that its been there a week or 5 too long and has penetrated the paint ( single pot in my case). Opua and sheltered places like that might be different , but Auckland moorings are rough water. Watch any boat with an onshore breeze or the ferry and ship wakes and think about how much movement is present and then think in terms of cycles of use . The boat is wearing out just sitting on the mooring. Varnish ? one line loose for week and it can beat a hole in wood.

My view is based on my experiences looking after an old boat, old boats with varnish and single pot paint show damage and wear earlier but it is still present in some lesser form with a modern . How many boats do you see with halyards bashing away at the mast, chopping out a braid cover on a halyard on a spreader or something? That's the sort of thing that can't be allowed to happen on a varnish mast without pretty fast damage showing up, so maybe I'm oversensitive to it.

I'm not disagreeing with the fact that the marina berth exposes one side to UV and sun wear and tear... It'd be nice to be able to turn em around every now and again, but unless its a very sheltered place , a mooring creates far more work in my view.

A That's a good point about a rough mooring, luckily the swing moorings we've had have been in sheltered areas with flat water. We had a classic yacht in a marina for several years and we'd turn her around periodically. Our current boat is on pile moorings and we do the same for her, one month bow in and the next bow out. These pics are from our prepurchase inspection. She was kept on the same piles by the last owner who didn't move her for at least 5 years one side was powdery and dry the other was covered in moss, lichen and black mould all over the decks etc.

Both sides had issues because of it but different.

North side

20140531_105959.jpg

South side

20140531_105805.jpg

why is paint and varnish life extended on marina?

Having the ability to hose down with fresh water every time you go to the boat would extend the life rather than having salt build up as on piles or a mooring I would expect ...

Archived