RACE TO VAVAU

Sailed passed but yet to stop

Great in a Cat as anchorages are shallow the drop off quickly, can be windy but that's not a bad thing in the tropics

Also not much shelter if the weather turns but that's not very often but definitely on my list

Tongatapu on the other hand is a Sh!t hole

Been there. Pretty damn nice - If you, like me, prefer the beautiful remote places. I found anchorages etc fine in a mono drawing 1.8. Even the primary (small) harbour at Lifuka (main Island) had beautiful clear water with tropical fishes visible from the boat. Very few harbours are this clean in the south pacific, or anywhere 3rd world for that matter!

Remember that you are not in the 1st world anywhere in the south pacific except Ausy and NZ. The towns tend to be dirty (and the larger the dirtier) and there is very little to be had in the way of supplies and or shopping, especially if not willing to eat the local foods. All part of the experience.

Jon, Tongatapu is a paradise compared to many places I've been, it's all a matter of perspective!

Tongatapu is not bad these days although facilities are much the same as they have always been.  I remember we dragged in the harbour there last time we were there and nearly put the boat on the bricks, pulled anchor and we dragged up half a concrete block wall and reobar.  However I do think you can actually buy half decent food there these days.  I was there a few months back for work.  

We are going to do this race and then sail south to Tongatapu through the Haapai Islands, drop the crew off there pick wife and kids up from airport and head North again.  It's quite doable in a Mono, yes winds can be strong but I found holding was pretty good there generally.  I just hope it's still as remote as it used to be when I did it last time.  

I watched someone anchor about 5 or more times in the harbour at tongatapu, pulled up rubbish every time. Then hooked in solid, and when he went to leave, could not retrieve the anchor. Put a diver down, was hooked into a car body! Hope it's improved since then :-)

The hapais are great, and vavau too. Have a great time! Jealous.....

I T I'd hate to cast aspersions on places you've been and I've been to worse spots as well but we found it the worst place we stopped in a season from Central America to Fiji

Compared to everywhere else it lacked pride in its environment imho

But don't get me wrong I'll still stop there next time as it's a stepping off point for Vavau which is one of the nicest cruising areas in the pacific

It's a bit like comparing Suva with the Lau, but maybe I just like the path less traveled.

Me to Jon, - the path less travelled. Some places in Indonesia were WAY worse than Tongatapu. Unbelievable though that may be to those who haven't seen it. I have some pics somewhere....

Km, the prison on Nomuka Iki was gone last time I was there.

I suppose as this is being run as a "race" under YNZ rules, even cruising div yachts will have to mess around with stability certificates?

You should be fine - ask the Farr office for a GZ curve. They gave me mine for free.

Vavau is a great destination - lots to see in a relatively short distance -including some good anchorages.. Neifau is a cute little place too - even has a rum race friday avos run by a Kiwi