Borderline

Yes its true catyachty no more performance sailing for Borderline with its new owner. But when he gets over the solar powered thing and moves her on hopefully she can be reinstated with a new rig and do what she was

designed to do- time will tell. 

See you next week in  the Tauranga race.

Borderline had a really wide beam which made her a mast eater. 

JT does do a really good deal on an Ali rig for under 5k I think.  Don't think Andy wanted to go that route though.

JT does do a really good deal on an Ali rig for under 5k I think.  Don't think Andy wanted to go that route though.

yeh, but a bulletproof rig could have been designed maybe a bit heavier than needed on a narrower boat but surely not rocket science.  

Just curious, Clive - What does that refer to?   Does that mean the wider beam gave her huge righting moment and the mast wasn't up to it?  What is her beam?

Just curious, since mine is so beamy....

ZrbIm7R.jpg

Borderline didn't flip easy and must have had the top speed out of all the 8.5s. Wide stiff, heavy. Deeds narrow stiff light, fast in lighter breeze. Our boat is probably similar to Paxfish . Keeping the boat as light as possible, she will fly a hull but has quite a lot of load on the rig to do so. Everything flexes a lot and the mast needs to be watched. A wooden mast would be interesting to see how it flexes.

Just curious, Clive - What does that refer to?   Does that mean the wider beam gave her huge righting moment and the mast wasn't up to it?  What is her beam?

Just curious, since mine is so beamy....

Borderline -  Great boat, well sailed and wide at 6.2 and Kev must have been eating too many pies so all that extra weight ...

Truth is though I don't know why the Carbon rig came down as it was a really good rig. I think it's fair to say that the first 2 ali rigs were not up to taking the load.

VF have to be careful not to have too many people to windward for the same reason as the loads get huge with all that righting moment.

Borderline didn't flip easy and must have had the top speed out of all the 8.5s. Wide stiff, heavy. Deeds narrow stiff light, fast in lighter breeze. Our boat is probably similar to Paxfish . Keeping the boat as light as possible, she will fly a hull but has quite a lot of load on the rig to do so. Everything flexes a lot and the mast needs to be watched. A wooden mast would be interesting to see how it flexes.

I hear ya! That's kinda why I asked.   My mast is wood.  You can see from my profile pic, the diamonds are stout, and the mast appears to be also.   But I wonder....

w8nvoiY.jpg