New Townson 32 ,from the front page.

John B

Not exactly the same as Takahoa.

My brother (whose excellent work this all is) has choosen a blue bottom, not red. The colour is called Titanic - Hmmmmm.......

The over lapping headsail works well. The winch can be a bit slow getting it sheeted in (bit like my crew at times). Runs off a single winch which lets out one sheet & hauls in the other. Drawback with the system is that you can't gull wing down wind as you can't let both sheets out.

Sailing it was easier than expected, The boat uses a 3 channel RC. one for the rudder, one for the main and one for the headsail. From the test sail it looks like a larger headsail could be used.

Could you use a drum with varying diameter? You might be able to get it so that rotations of the drum ease the old sheet more rapidly initially than the new sheet comes in. Downside would be that the final tensioning would be when the winch has the least purchase.

Or you could go to four channels and have two drum winches.

Yes, essentially the same as schematic 1 in the diagrams.

The fixing of the sheet onto the loop (D) is positioned so that it travels past the point it exits through the deck so that went tacking the new sheet doesn't start to pull in until the old sheet has been eased a bit.

The other schematics are interesting, must have a closer look at them and see what improvements we could make to downwind sail control.

My brother did have a look at using differing drum diameters but elected to go with the simpler loop setup. 4 channel RC and two winches were an option but thought there may be issues with the possibility of one winch fighting against the other if the user was careless

Of course one way to go would be some sort of automated system using electronic wind direction gear connected to a microprocesser that would control the sail winches to ensure that the sails are set to optimum position for any wind angle. That way you would only need a single channel RC for the rudder. Might not be as much fun to sail though.

If anyone after a slightly non traditional RC yacht.....check out the Classifieds page.... Asking price is Firm... So First in best dressed

If anyone after a slightly non traditional RC yacht.....check out the Classifieds page.... Asking price is Firm... So First in best dressed

Yeah looks good, and I bet a lot of fun. A bit hard to stow on the boat though....

Hes not wrong, that is truly beautiful, as good looking sliding through the water as the full size ones are.Well done to the builder shes a credit to him. No thoughts of flipping a mould off?

Yes there is a mould for the hull and templates made for the deck & cabin.

It is all my brothers fine work and he is starting on a 2nd one so we can have a bit of fun racing each other.

If a 'Pott Black' gets made I just need to ensure it's slower than mine. :D

Sea trials were undertaken for the newest Townson 32 on Saturday :wink:

Everything went to plan with only a few minor issues to sort out.

Final painting and detailing are still to be done and a final set of sails produced.

Next time you take her out give me a shout, I'll dust off my Electron (modelled on Townson 34 I think) and we can do some match-racing :P

BlueFin1.jpg

Archived