Sea Shepherd

Fecking awesome. An organisation walking the walk where useless fecking governments can't be arsed.

And one less poaching vessel in operation. Pity they won't face justice, but an acceptable outcome.

Initially ,Like many others here  I am sure, they seemed to be breaking laws and recklessly endangering lives. But I watched a TV series on them last week (admittedly from their viewpoint), and now this , I am tending more towards banaari's sentiment above.

Having read the last Professional Skipper on the navy/wet bus ticket accusation, I'm siding with the Navy. Rule of Law and Law of the Sea is fundamental to a small nation like NZ.

Hey Matt, is there an option to automatically subscribe to a post I've posted on. It wastes time having to click on 'more reply options'.

I would expect the Sea Shepherd's to offer assistance. I have done it, and so have many of you. 

But the poachers do seem to be some low-lifes . . 

the captain of the Thunder, knowing he's run out of fuel, has deliberately sunk his own boat in order to destroy any physical evidence.

Having read the last Professional Skipper on the navy/wet bus ticket accusation, I'm siding with the Navy. Rule of Law and Law of the Sea is fundamental to a small nation like NZ.

Hey Matt, is there an option to automatically subscribe to a post I've posted on. It wastes time having to click on 'more reply options'.

Kevin, sure is;

Click on your username top right,
Click "My Settings"
Click "Notification options"
Make sure  "Auto follow topics I reply to" is ticked....
Matt

I think Sea Shepherd do a great job. Sure they have moderated a little since the early days, but no one can argue with the direct positive effect they have on the front line marine conservation. I've had the pleasure of having been on board a few of their ships and as a whole they seem to be very professional and organised.

I think Sea Shepherd do a great job. Sure they have moderated a little since the early days, but no one can argue with the direct positive effect they have on the front line marine conservation. I've had the pleasure of having been on board a few of their ships and as a whole they seem to be very professional and organised.

Let's hope so. When I saw the first few episodes of Whale Wars (the HBO? doco on them) I was actually VERY surprised they hadn't killed any of their own crew!!!  Check out the launching under way of their rib.

Don't get me wrong, they are doing a great job.

But Whale Wars showed Watson as a liar and manipulator. First mate Peter Brown wouldn't know one end of a rope from another. Second mate Peter Hammarstedt was a creepy acolyte of Watson who knew how to play to Watson's god complex. The management style was like nothing I'd ever seen. A suggestion, not an order, was made by Watson from within his office and it was implemented organically and piecemeal like an ant-colony at work. Have you ever seen a group of ants tugging on something and eventually getting it going in the right direction?

They had no serious drills, no maintenance inspections and their culture on board was to blame other people for errors which were the clear result of NO planning. The "doctor" in the first episode appeared to have no proper equipment and was preparing to treat hypothermia with hot drinks, blankets and a bar radiator - ie how to kill a victim of hypothermia!!!

Let's hope things have improved because they were putting their own and the lives of volunteers in serious danger.

• Upvote 1

Add to that the situation on one boat where female crew were selected based on physical looks (not experience or even able-bodiedness) and the first mate and captain had their pictures on a wall chart dividing them up according to who was going to screw which one.  The crew member who discovered this tried to start up a SS Women group and was dumped at the next port of call.

Unfortunately, all organisations are made up of people and people haven't moved on much from the pond in which we started i.e. the scum is found clinging to the bottom or rising to the surface.  Doesn't matter how great the intentions of the organisation may have started out... 

On the other hand, I do think SS had a positive influence in raising awareness and contributing towards change with regard to whaling.