sailor bob

erice

As we've done for 40 years, three summers back a mate and I sailed our Laser yachts from Eastbourne on the eastern side of Wellington harbour, across to the city's Oriental Bay. There we lingered awhile. Meanwhile a vicious southerly blew up. It was a hellishly crazy two-hour ride back in those tiny vessels.

Coincidentally the Pacific region Laser championships were taking place off Eastbourne with about 30 nations represented. Yachts were capsizing everywhere and the rescue boat was busy pulling competitors out of the drink.

One hundred and fifty metres from shore where the waves become unpredictable, over I went. It was impossible to right the yacht in those heavy seas and eventually the rescue boat dragged me aboard although in those seas I could have virtually surfed ashore.

"I told you we should have cancelled," an official on board shouted to his colleague.

"Look at him. His lifejacket's been ripped off."

I shut up about not being a competitor. Do I wear a lifejacket? Never. It's part of the pleasure, zipping about solely in shorts and a hat but mollycoddling know-alls abound, currently demanding lifejackets be compulsory.

I'm not cavalier about risk but it's my life and I'll make my own decisions regarding the set-off of pleasure versus safety.

Come to think of it I was once bailed up sailing on Lake Ontario off Toronto and to my joy, given a ticket by water-police for not wearing a lifejacket. I happily copped two more for continuing on, each left fluttering in my wake.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11432112

As one commenter said so eloquently:

"Pity the harbour rescue were not too late so he drowned, thus letting Darwinian selection do its job properly."

For context, Bob said in his silly rant that the speed limit in the CBD should be 80 k and let natural selection operate. FFS.

For context, Bob said in his silly rant that the speed limit in the CBD should be 80 k and let natural selection operate. FFS.

Yes.  I think hes making a point.  LIke dont run in front of buses.

The lowering of speed limits due to idiots is stupid.

We're all idiots and make mistakes. So sorry Matt, can't agree on this one. The science of urban design is crystal clear on this one. And if it's not a matter of science then I vote for the amenity argument. It's nice to be in CBDs without cars. Have you tried the revamped New York lately?

Now the Welly council want to remove all the trolley buses and replace them with dual fuel ones, surely electricity is cheaper than other energy sources. Plus apparently it is going to cost $40.000.000 ++ to remove all the infrastructure for the trolley buses, poles wires etc. Duh!!

This is one of the best things I've read in a long time.  The nanny state is going far to far, soon we'll have to have a license to walk out the front door.  When (if) I move back to Wellington, I might keep Bob's tradition going, sailing across Wellington harbour in a laser is a heap of fun, but the Hobie would be even better!

Now the Welly council want to remove all the trolley buses and replace them with dual fuel ones, surely electricity is cheaper than other energy sources. Plus apparently it is going to cost $40.000.000 ++ to remove all the infrastructure for the trolley buses, poles wires etc. Duh!!

Other people's money, so an easy decision for the Council.

We're all idiots and make mistakes. So sorry Matt, can't agree on this one. The science of urban design is crystal clear on this one. And if it's not a matter of science then I vote for the amenity argument. It's nice to be in CBDs without cars. Have you tried the revamped New York lately?

Where in New York is this so called revamped car less zone? Must be a tiny hidden corner of Manhatten somewhere.

How did Onehunga go without Cars on the Mainstreet? Brilliant to the point they ripped all the Pedestrian Mall out and put the Mainstreet back again at a cost of gazillions

I think the 40 kph zone down Ponsnobby Rd is brilliant - specially in summer

In fact I think it should be halved     :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Where in New York is this so called revamped car less zone? Must be a tiny hidden corner of Manhatten somewhere.

How did Onehunga go without Cars on the Mainstreet? Brilliant to the point they ripped all the Pedestrian Mall out and put the Mainstreet back again at a cost of gazillions

Destroyed economy for as long as the mall lasted is what happened. Otahuhu was exactly the same. Both places became dead as doornails.

Shared use seems to work all right.

Destroyed economy for as long as the mall lasted is what happened. Otahuhu was exactly the same. Both places became dead as doornails.

Shared use seems to work all right.

Exactly.

Manners Mall in Wellington is another example. Apart from Buses now mowing down dopey pedestrians, the presence of vehicles has ejected the drop kick inhabitants and brought some life to the area again. 

Archived