Hoping to find some useful info on possible outboard motors for my 8.5 GBE, which I'm restoring to its former glory..any advice would be gratefully recd! 

Transom height to water level is 400mm, will I need extra long (650mm) or do you think 562mm will be enough length?

Any additional advice on hp would be a bonus

Cheers... :thumbup:   Quentin

Which GBE?

A lot of the 8.5s run 8hp, which can be a bit marginal when snorting, but I have not had any trouble yet. Go long shaft, whatever you choose.

I have a Yamaha 8 long shaft on voom.

I've got the Yamaha 9.9 4stroke, it's a bit heavier than Voom's motor, top end is about the same but has heaps more low speed bite.

Also the power tilt and start is handy as you don,t have to leave the tiller to get the motor running.

Whatever you get, defiantly get the long shaft

Got the long shaft Yamaha 8 goes well. A bit noisy

Ventilation is big issue motoring direct into wind and waves. We went through two Genuine Yamaha low pitch props, the rubber bush is quite soft, slips and burns out like an old clutch plate. 

We now got a low pitch Solas prop , the salesman reckons the rubber bush is harder and tighter. We also added small plastic wing foils which seem to reduce some ventilation.

Had or have a Johnson 15Hp 85'ish model. Used hard and abused hard and ran brilliantly for all that time. Even seized once due to forgetting oil in fuel. Cooled down and ran again for years after. Been tipped upside down and underwater. Drained, started, ran fine for years after. Summer previous to last, it was needing some attention and we didn't have time or room to bring it hme with us. So I needed an outboard I could rely on to take back to auckland with me. I got a Suzuki 95'ish model. Love ot. I especially love the fact it injects oil. No pre mixing. Just fill the in engine oil container. Only I would like to change the mix ratio from 100:1 to 150:1 for the Syn Oil I am using. But can't. From searching the net, it seems to be an engone that has the best reputation. It is lighter than the J and starts first pull. Love it. I hope it gives me as much trouble free service as the J did. I brought the J home with me this time and hope to give it a tickle up over the wintert and sell it sometime.

What are you going to use the boat for?

If racing - Yamaha 8hp is a good option or the Tohatsu.

If not racing much, then Yamaha 9.9 is the best option due to the large diameter prop they have and extra long shaft option. Having been on Eds GBE, the motor is quiet, grunty and has great grip on the water - but is heavy.

Get the longest shaft outboard you can. The standard long shaft is only just long enough for the standard GBE motor pod setup. Its not really an issue as anytime the chop gets too big to motor, its a good time to be sailing!

just put a merc. 8hp on my GBE.  23.5kg - lightest on the market.  Suffers heading into 25kts and short chop with the family hunkered in a cockpit - speed around 45.kts.  7kts pretty readily in the flat.

I am honestly flabbergasted at all the insightful and helpful info you have given me.many thanks to all,...its going to be  a bit of a cruiser and not a racer I'm afraid!...so Yamaha 4stroke is looking favourite..xtra long shaft!..what do you all mean by Voom, is that another motor option?...Yet again thanks for your help and I'm sure i will be firing a few more questions as they come up...

"He (ed - Clipper) has something called VOOM.

Voom is so hard to get,

You never saw anything

like it, I bet."

Go big - they have one of those yammy's on Manic - a highly modded Turissimo