Best Budget Plotter for smaller yachts!

B&G have released the Vulcan. It is a small (7") plotter designed for sailing boats. It has really great features. including Sailsteer (laylines etc), wifi screen clone to Apple or Andriod, Autopilot control, and more. Even better its $1300!!

It is not meant for larger (say 35 ft + ) boats. No networking, and No radar or other overlays (weather etc). For that you need the Zeus 11. Oh, and the Vulcan, I'm told, will soon include "Startline" - currently only available on the top of the range H5000 systems as used in the Volvo etc. Startline will allow you to "ping" the start boat and pin, and will draw the start line on the chart, as well as give you time and distance info! This is a really great unit!!

Send me a PM if you want one, I'll answer questions on here...

Pics and more info etc here http://www.bandg.com/en-GB/Product-Groups/Vulcan/

Matt

Kevin, no comparison to most apps on andriod. They do not (normally) interface with the boats instruments, nor control them or an AP.No laylines, no recording of wind history/direction to get you on the right side of the shifts etc. They have no provision for Polars or boat performance configuration, and they don't speak NMEA2000. Of course the Andriod app for control of the Vulcan itself has exactly the same features as the Vulcan unit, but you cannot control the AP.

The andriod or apple apps only provide chart plotting.  It is the Sailsteer and the Startline functions the set this system apart from anything else currently available in this price range. Unless you have a ruggedised tablet, the Vulcan is also much tougher - IPX7 waterproof, solid mounting outside is fine. Runs off the boat power, so does not get flat, trodden on, dropped overboard. IMO tablets are fine as a backup, and sometimes convenient, but are risky for primary navigation. The Vulcan is a serious sailing and navigation tool. Standalone tablets are not. Again IMO.

KM, yes touch only. The Touch control is pretty advanced though - won't be activated by rain or spray, and seems to work pretty well. Pinch to zoom, and onscreen touch menus. Touch can also be locked so it won't inadvertently be changed. Simple short press of the power button to enable touch again. 

Provided that your hands are not actually dripping onto the screen, this one works well in the wet. Shake off the drops, and away you go. That is what it is meant for! Even the Zeus 11 models are all touch screen now that the interface works well - the older models have both touch and buttons, but due to the interface improvements this is deemed no longer required...

Looks like a nice unit and a bargain to boot. Not sure I agree with the touch only though. I have found the buttons and dial on our Zeus invaluable in heavy weather when it's difficult to be accurate with the touch interface.

Hi Willow, is your Zeus an original or a Zeus 11? I'm not certain if the new software for the touch is applicable to the first Zeus. Either way, if your have not done a firmware update in the last 6 months, you should do one. There have been some good improvements that you can get with a simple firmware update.

On the subject of the updates - the Zeus 11 and the Vulcan have wifi included. Give them an internet connection (hotspot on yr phone?) and they will update themselves like your tablets and cellphones can do. Easy! It will be an update that ads the startline feature described above.

I.T, is a Zeus 7 touch, I think the last firmware update was about 6 months ago, really like the unit and it has proven solid after a RNI race as well as half a dozen other coastal races wouldn't like to be without it now. 

OK, first gen Zeus. Should be on sw version 2.0-46.1.139-28533-r1. Different screen control (and different screen!) than the new one and the Vulcan. The demo of the new screen in the wet that I saw was pretty impressive...

oh, Willow, if you need the SW update instructions, they are here http://www.bandg.com/Documents/software/Zeus_Touch_Upgrade_instructions.pdf

You'll need a SD card or USB drive - no wifi on your model sorry

Having just sailed to Fiji with the latest, best and pricey chart plotter (and everything else there and integrated), with a iPad alongside, it was interesting the comparison. Certainly the iPad was a great back up on independent power. 

But the good news of this offer is finally a marine unit is getting close to the size and functionality of what we mortals can afford in a marine unit, before we just go and buy a tablet and a cover...

If you have a metal boat an external antenna can be used.  AIS compatible - you must ad a transceiver or receiver (lthough why you would currently use a receiver only now is beyond me!) - will display all current AIS items, including ATONs and SARTs. KM, in your case, I'd expect it to be installed below, and you can use your tablet in a cover and mount in the cockpit. On the tablet App, pinch to zoom does not work, you have a + and - button at the bottom of the screen instead....

I have been looking at the Standard Horizon GX2200 AIS/VHF, a compact unit with GPS included, along with DSC to talk to any shipping re their intentions. Just under NZ$500.00 on special via Amazon, Just on NZ$1000.00 at Marine deals, not sure why the big difference. There are other S.H. models sans the gps etc that are considerably cheaper still.

I saw one (of the earlier models) in Fiji a couple of years ago, that the owner thought was better than sliced bread.

It can apparently interface with other screens, ipad, etc.

Steve, it can, but it is a RECEIVE ONLY. If super budget is your choice, then I can do an Asian AIS transponder (Both SEE and BE SEEN) for less than $500 NZD. This has NMEA0183 output and will interface to anything that can accept AIS data. I really don't recommend these units though.

The best unit on the market is made here in NZ - The Vesper Marine units. Twice the price plus a bit (around $1200) but way better features, NZ language, efficient support, meets all international standards, has Wifi, NMEA 0183 and NMEA2000, so provides a much longer useful life. If you buy the wrong transducer, and it does not meet the NZ laws, it is illegal to use here!

If it is a VHF you want, buy a VHF - preferably one that can have a remote or wireless mic so you can use it from the wheel (better than a handheld, as the base set has 25watts transmit power).

This is a digression from the topic, which was Chart Plotting (or MFD - Multi Function Displays) as they are now called. If the AIS discussion continues, we should start another thread!

Fair enough, each to their own KM! It's just with a good AP, most people do their navigating and planning below...

In about a week, when the Navico marketing guys come back from the sanctuary cove boat show, There will be a unit available for demos at the Navico Office in Albany if anyone is interested. 1st stock available in about 2 weeks...

Matt 

while we're griping about VHF

after getting my DSC VHF hooked up to the GPS

i thought coastguard would immediately know where i was if i pushed the distress button within range of a station

but when i asked about this at the recent coastguard open day at mechanics bay they said

"no actually, your VHF may very well fire off the lat/long from your GPS but our NZ system isn't configured to receive it, so don't believe the radio manual that says you can press the distress button + abandon ship secure in the knowledge that your GPS linked DSC VHF will continually broadcast your position while you await rescue" 

stay on chan 16 until someone answers and get them to write down your position" 

True. No shore stations. My boat, virtually all the commercial international ships, and many offshore yachts will see a distress icon appear on our plotters, as well as alarms... IMO it is worth it!!