securing hatch for Cat 1

I was talking with the owner of a Pacific 38 who is about to head offshore, about how to secure the hatch and slides so that they can be opened from both sides. I couldn't quite remember how I had done it, so when I was down at the boat today I took a photo of my solution. A clip at each end of a bit of spectra which passes through an eye on the hatch allows release from the inside and out and secures everything, while also being simple and at minimum cost. IF someone knows the P38 owner then please pass this on.

20150524_142622.jpg

Question, how do you secure the sliding hatch to keep water out? One good one I have seen is to have a spring loaded bolt on a string to the outside. Can be pulled down on the inside and outside. Therefore locks the sliding hatch closed at the same time.

I was talking with the owner of a Pacific 38 who is about to head offshore, about how to secure the hatch and slides so that they can be opened from both sides. I couldn't quite remember how I had done it, so when I was down at the boat today I took a photo of my solution. A clip at each end of a bit of spectra which passes through an eye on the hatch allows release from the inside and out and secures everything, while also being simple and at minimum cost. IF someone knows the P38 owner then please pass this on.

Im rather confused by the picture above. we are going for Cat 1 ourselves soon and have a similar setup (except sliding hatch comes over the washboard). How does the above setup help hold the sliding hatch closed? or does cat 1 not require that, only the washboard to be held closed regardless of the sliding hatch? i assumed it it was a requirement that both be held closed and are openable from both sides? any enlightenment. the documents for cat 1 are very vague

The picture should be rotated 90 deg counterclockwise. The washboards are not in place in the photo. The strop goes through the sliding hatch and secures it from opening, while at the same time stops the washboards from lifting out (when they are in). It can be opened from inside or out by passing the strop through the eye on the hatch. Hope this helps..

The picture should be rotated 90 deg counterclockwise. The washboards are not in place in the photo. The strop goes through the sliding hatch and secures it from opening, while at the same time stops the washboards from lifting out (when they are in). It can be opened from inside or out by passing the strop through the eye on the hatch. Hope this helps..

Ahhh....that makes a lot more sense!