Yacht registration

MNZ is a shambles and trickle down is happening.

Professional Skipper have been spewing about this for some time, as you are probably aware.  Would it be worthwhile reaching out to them Island Time?

I asked a friend at YNZ and he forwarded my email to Angus Wilson, who is listed as Safety and Technical Officer.

They can stik a red hot poker where the sun don't shine.

I have been told the cost of reg part B was a little over $200 a decade ago.

There is NO justification for a 500% increase in that time.

Even inflation at it's worst has been well under double digits.

Just don't pay it. Fly another flag, 

I have been in touch with YNZ, they don't seem to be actively lobbying on our behalf but did suggest "anecdotally" that there may be a review going on at MNZ.  Lets hope that someone can rein them in a little!

Just received from MNZ

Please be advised also that all fees are increasing effective 1 July 2016.  If an application for Part B registration is received on or after this date, the registration fee is $1005.

And they are not letting go of this golden goose.

makes my decision easy I no longer have any feeling of ( I should really register in NZ] I paid $900 last year and 6 months later had to cancel it when I sold the boat, don,t even think about a refund of the unused portion of your registration.

It's amusing how BPs attitude to NZ registration has changed seeing he will be legally residing in NZ in a NZ registered vessel offshore

$1000 doesn't seem too higher price compared to losing your pension ?

Not having a go at BP here but just interesting how people's perception can vary greatly depending on where we are standing at the time

Don't get me wrong $800 that I paid two years ago or over a K now is daylight robbery but if I needed NZ support in what ever form whilst sailing around the Pacific/world then it's cheap support / insurance and I've never been anywhere that NZ registration was seen as a bad thing but a lot of other flags didn't get the same universal acceptance

Not true. I would still very much prefer to register in Langkawi. I'm being pushed back to NZ by another bureaucratic issue altogether.

The NZ super is a minor issue. Both Angela and I have spent so much time out of NZ that we would receive very little anyway. My plan is to have enough independently, if I get anything from NZ super it will be a pleasant little bonus.

Don't get me wrong $800 that I paid two years ago or over a K now is daylight robbery but if I needed NZ support in what ever form whilst sailing around the Pacific/world then it's cheap support / insurance and I've never been anywhere that NZ registration was seen as a bad thing but a lot of other flags didn't get the same universal acceptance

I'm not sure that this is a valid argument - if you have a NZ passport you would receive that "help" anyway?  I'm yet to be convinced that the astronomical increases in all these fees are justified by actual representation/benefits.  Seems to me that it relates more to the cost of administration, or rather a share of the total cost of the the Government Department responsible.  I am tempted to let mine lapse and simply photoshop the laminated form.

In this case I agree with Dtwo - I have never seen any use for my registration cert, other than clearing in and out of countries. It's just another bureaucratic charge as far as I can see, and surely the overhead of keeping a simple register is not worth $1K a year.