Yacht registration

In this case I agree with Dtwo - I have never seen any use for my registration cert, other than clearing in and out of countries. It's just another bureaucratic charge as far as I can see, and surely the overhead of keeping a simple register is not worth $1K a year.

It's a five year registration, no? so 200 bucks a year.

old thread but appropriate for my issue

Ynz has my yacht down as scampus ii  sail number 2920 peterson design

now it was launched in 1976 with a builders plaque on the bulk head as built 1976    orinoco    2920

so now to rectify the problem I need to pay ynz change of boat name/ownership $55

Guess I just bite the bullet and pay?

unless you are going to race, there is no requirement to bother registering with YNZ or change the info that they have for that matter

yep exactly what i am going to do nothing,speaking of racing,boat must registered and current owners details to be correct?what if i borrowed a yacht without the owner being onboard(absent owner)can you still race?

unless you are going to race, there is no requirement to bother registering with YNZ or change the info that they have for that matter

yep exactly what i am going to do nothing,speaking of racing,boat must registered and current owners details to be correct?what if i borrowed a yacht without the owner being onboard(absent owner)can you still race?

Unless your boat needs PHRF, then unlikely any race officials at your local sail boat club would care less. Even less likely that anyone would look up on the YNZ register.

The YNZ register has been full of mistakes, errors and omissions for years. YNZ don't care, why would anyone else?

Unless your boat needs PHRF, then unlikely any race officials at your local sail boat club would care less. Even less likely that anyone would look up on the YNZ register.

The YNZ register has been full of mistakes, errors and omissions for years. YNZ don't care, why would anyone else?

True, but quick to grab your money at any chance

I have just gone through yacht registration/Phrf with YNZ. My dealings with them couldn't have been better. Very easy to deal with. They made it easy and knew what they were doing. The people l dealt with were a credit to YNZ.I wish all companies were this easy to deal with. It seems strange hearing peoples negative comments but I suppose policy is different to staff.

Actually the last few negative post are completely out of line.

GrantMC - the reason the Yacht Register is not completely up to date is because "we yachties" don't assist YNZ in doing so. But I suppose you expect them to spend hours chasing up discourteous self-centred lazy arsed yachtsman. To think they don't care is ridiculous - they provide this service as a courtesy to us - not to give themselves something to do.

Harrytom - A $55 one time only fee to make a change to the register would barely cover costs and can hardly be described as grabbing money. To think otherwise is irrational.

NZGrant - to infer that YNZ frontline staff are unhelpful is also completely out of line. I deal with the. Every year as part of the Coastal and I can tell you from first hand experience that they actually do go out of their way to assist discourteous self-centred lazy arsed yachtsman who wait till the week of the race to apply for documentation.

I have no other affiliation to YNZ than anyone else on this forum - 3 affiliated club memberships and the aforementioned liaison.

Why should I pay to fix their error??

scotte,so your affiliated to 3 clubs,that's nice,so your happy to pay for 3 lots of fees? and before you or anyone says its too hard to identify which club you pay your fee too its not. When I had 2 club fees I just deducted the levy from 1 club saying it has been paid through club 2,never had a problem

Agreed Scottie, sounds like the worst get rich scheme ever to maintain a database of yachts for grumpy old curmudgeons.

It is entirely possible that someone changed the name of the boat in the register between 1976 and today, either way if a $55 one off fee is going to blow the budget maybe boat ownership isn't for you.

no problem paying the fee Wheels,just a principle and it is not the first and certainly wont be the last time it happens,be great if registration proved legal ownership but it does not. Which begs a question how do you prove you own your vessel?

OK, so what about registration under part A. I know several yachts registered in Part A, and it does not expire. Ever, as far as I can tell?

IT I think there's been topic creep. The original posts were all about registration of a boat for offshore. Ie the Maritime NZ register. But it's changed to the register run by Yachting NZ. And as you know the two registers are quite independent. 

In respect to the rather argumentative postings concerning the YNZ register, YNZ service etc, I wonder if perhaps it should be a separate topic?  

Part "B" is the same as car rego, it doesn't imply or confer ownership to the holder. As K/me says the only way is to have a paper trail going back as far as possible. I expect that most overseas bureaucrats will accept the NZ part "B" certificate as proof of ownership, because they are not aware that it doesn't!

A $55 one time only fee to make a change to the register would barely cover costs and can hardly be described as grabbing money. To think otherwise is irrational.

Perhaps ScottiE but perhaps not. 

If the seller and buyer register separately (the normal process), then they each pay $55.

But the above charges are only relevant if the boat is already registered with YNZ.

If the boat isn't already  registered then the standard fee is $365. For those requiring special number, ie classic yachts using say the E series then the fee is $620. It can get even worse for a trailer sailor.

I was told by a YNZ staffer that the reason the YNZ register is such a mess is because about 11-12 years ago YNZ lost the registration database and had no backup.

I really hope that no one would be ill informed as to rely on the YNZ register as proof of ownership. It's as useless as tits on the proverbial bull.

No one has been knocking YNZ staff; I'm sure they're trying their best. It's a senior management issue that hasn't been managed in the last 10-11 years. The sad thing is that YNZ state: 

Emergency: Registration is strongly encouraged for recreational and racing boats for safety and security reasons, enabling rapid tracing of a boat in the event of theft, mishap or more serious maritime emergencies.  An alarming number of registered boats do not have current owner details, leaving Yachting New Zealand and rescue authorities helpless in the event of an emergency. We request all boat owners keep Yachting New Zealand informed of any changes.

If YNZ believed their own words they would, at the management level, make some  decisions, and make their register a priority. I just can't imagine if Coastguard, Police, MSA, or  RCC etc relied on the YNZ register what the results would be.