Oriental Bay Getting New Sand

Proving that down here in windy Welly our Council are making the right decisions with our money. Today sees 2,400 tonnes (about $400,000 worth) of new sand arriving at Oriental Bay beach. Packed in 45 containers, it's from a quarry in Dunedin, where it was especially crushed and sieved, ensuring just the right consistency. Only the best for our neighbours in Oriental Bay.

And what about Wellington's other beaches? 

Oriental bay is not a naturally sandy beach - it was made, and loses sand all the time. Every once in a while it is topped up, and it's expensive. I guess local sand is the wrong color! Is this good use of the council's (ratepayers) money??

Interesting historic note, on a previous sand replacement programme, (maybe 6 or 7 years ago??) the sand was dug out of a sandhill in Golden Bay. The consent required remediation work following the "mining" which (remediation) was never done. The hole is still there but now disguised with "natural regeneration" = weeds. the council blames the contractor who probably doesn't care as there is or was no consequence. I wonder how the Oriental bay residents can consume their lattes on their golden beach without conscience.

tb

I wonder how the Oriental bay residents can consume their lattes on their golden beach without conscience.

tb

Except it's not even really "Oriental Bay residents". Unlike Lyall bay, any time the beach is in a condition worth visiting, it becomes massively overcrowded and not worth visiting. Any other time, the salt/sand is blowing over the road and making those lattes unsippable. IMO the beach is only good for those who can tolerate the absurd crowds it attracts. A tragedy of the commons in my eyes.

I'm glad we have sailboats. 

I've had my boat moored in Clyde Quay harbour (in front of Port Nich Boat Club) for the last 12 months and so am there a great deal. You're certainly correct MoD about the crowds, and the beach and pavement being incredibly popular, even on crap days. But I have a different view to you.

I've really enjoyed being at Oriental Bay. It's busy and vibrant and colourful. I could never afford to live there but I can still have a little boat parked there.

There are several nice cafes within a 3 minute walk of my boat (and they're not any more expensive than other Welly cafes). Coens, the new cafe in Port Nich, is excellent and everything is very reasonably priced too. The old Martin Bosley restaraunt was an awesome dining experience but it was a very special occasion place. And you're welcomed to Coens, all day every day, even in a paint spattered tee shirt and ripped shorts.

I'd been at Seaview marina the previous 10-11 years where there is nothing available within even a long walking distance. Best of all my current mooring is less than a third of the price I was paying at Seaview.  

With the current blow is the sand still there???

The sand is still there, but all work has stopped.

Interesting historic note, on a previous sand replacement programme, (maybe 6 or 7 years ago??) the sand was dug out of a sandhill in Golden Bay. The consent required remediation work following the "mining" which (remediation) was never done. The hole is still there but now disguised with "natural regeneration" = weeds. the council blames the contractor who probably doesn't care as there is or was no consequence. I wonder how the Oriental bay residents can consume their lattes on their golden beach without conscience.

When at my boat I shall enjoy my lattes with holey reverence from now on. 

Seriously. It is awful to hear that that has been the case Tim. Never had any idea and I doubt many people do.