How many want to run away to sea?

44  x 28 ft cat in queensland, foam sandwich , diesel motors, single daggerboard...not the whole retirement fund to purchase.  ;-)

single dagger?

better not break it

1988 Shuttleworth,Advantage 44, built in England sailed to US then cruised mexico and Pacific by American owners for at least 7 years then they left it in aus as they returned home in their 70,s,    lots of room and probably, hopefully, a little better sailing than some of  the big production cats , have some photos but seems they are too big to put up just now. Probably a 140 to150 mile a day cruiser although it apparently won some atlantic crossing race back in the day.

Like this one? Nice.

Where would you park a beast like this though? Seems that decent moorings are getting harder and harder to obtain although I guess it doesn't matter if the tide goes out eh?

erice , thats the one in 2004 when it was previously named Josephine , Farrari, the video is a sister ship that has a much more plush and heavier fitout, ours is more basic and probably lighter.   Romany, seems there is plenty of moorings available in Auckland , swing or pile moorings are cheap, marina would be expensive here , but I was surprised how reasonable marinas are in Aus. around 800 a month or less if you pay for a year in a very flash marina in Hervey bay.

I don't plan to live ashore again until I'm too old to handle a yacht. But then again my situation is different to most, being 62 and single I can do whatever the hell I want. :-)

Already sailed Newcastle to Christchurch once in a friend's yacht, plan to do it all again in my own soon. Just have to keep rationing those fun vouchers and working on getting the yacht prepared.

Well, we plan to enter the 2019 Coastal, so between then and now there's a considerable amount of work to be done...

Including the Norwegian and Swedish coasts...

Working backwards form there I guess I'll have to quit work in about a year and a half and devote all my time to prep. from there on...

Hopefully, we'll have a house to rent out to allow a small cruising income and a little freelance work should allow us to roll on for a little while - as long as we wash up in the BOI, I'll be happy...

Super long term?

Drifting around NZ would soak up quite a few years, I reckon...

• Upvote 1

Good Plan Dr W. That's not a heap of time to get ready and go though - it took me 6 months full time on the boat before we left, and it is really easy to consume an extra year or two while cruising! :-)