First Crew.org Electronics and social evening.!

War machine, let me be as up front as I will be on the night.

Much of the software displayed and to be discussed is open source - it's free to download. Some people can install it themselves, on gear they already have, for free!. No other vendor will even discuss this stuff with you, or have the experience using it, and connecting it to various vendors equipment, that I have. The open source stuff will not suit everyone. The pros and cons of that and the more traditional stuff will be openly discussed to assist those people interested, and those that may be thinking they could go either way (or a combination).

The door fee covers (I hope!) my costs in organizing this event, getting the demo and gear ready,.etc etc. This event, and Crew.org in general, are not free to provide.

I have spent in excess of 25 years in IT, and over 40 years sailing. If you think my time and experience is not worth $20, then it is absolutely your decision whether to attend or not. 

Commercial interest disclosure. Can I provide these systems? Yes, software and hardware, installation and support. But the idea of this evening is to be able to discuss, from a users point of view, all the gear and systems available, from me or any other vendor,  in an independent manner, without having to sell something on the night to cover costs. 

This evening could save you quite a lot of $.

Matt

Thanks Matt,

I hope you didn't mind the direct feedback and great reply by the way.

I will be there and will see if I can grab some of my geekier boating mates and will spread the word through some other networks.

I have a couple of questions,

1. Best way to get a stupid non 3G enabled  IPAD to receive a GPS signal from another device without spending another couple of hundred. This was as far as I got http://gps.dualav.com/explore-by-product/xgps150a/
  2. General advice on how to utilise the Android and Apple devices we all have to interface and display info from basic instruments in our case Advansea sounder/speed and Navman GPS.

Can't use a lot of this tech racing with Young 88 fleet rules  but all the Nav tips and tricks are handy for cruising.

Mike

Mike, no worries at all. Discussion is good!

I will have at the demo multiple mobile devices. They will be receiving data from instruments, GPS, and AIS broadcast on Wifi - this works for Andriod or Apple products. Other options including Bluetooth will be discussed. All have pro's and cons.

The more the merrier!

See you all there..

Matt

I've had a couple of people ask if they can bring friends/associates. Absolutely YES. Please do. This evening is open to anyone who is interested. Put it on your facebook page, club emails, whatever. :-)

Clive, yes it would be the place.

Your question though is unclear - you want the ST40 to display SOG, or you want it to output SOG on NMEA, or you want it to display SOG from an external NMEA source?

The St40 Bidata instrument can display SOG if it is available on the Seatalk bus. To put it on the bus if it is not there, you need at NMEA to Seatalk converter. Raymarine made one - the E85001, but it's no longer in production. might be able to find a 2nd hand one?

Possibly. But there is an awful lot to get thru in one Night! The Signal K project is likely to give us some great benefits in the reasonably near future, but you might be surprised at what can be done right now! :-)

I'm open to any questions (Likely unable to answer some!), but a lot will depend on how many people turn up and how many questions there are.

Hope to see you there!

Matt

Clive, yes it would be the place.

Your question though is unclear - you want the ST40 to display SOG, or you want it to output SOG on NMEA, or you want it to display SOG from an external NMEA source?

The St40 Bidata instrument can display SOG if it is available on the Seatalk bus. To put it on the bus if it is not there, you need at NMEA to Seatalk converter. Raymarine made one - the E85001, but it's no longer in production. might be able to find a 2nd hand one?

Thanks for the info - I'm after SOG from an external NMEA source. From what I have found out though it seems like no ST40 or ST50 can display SOG - Raymarine forum. Only the larger ST60's can... I hope this is not the case though.  

No Worries Clive. The ST40 - SOG, if it is on the Sealtalk bus. See page 30 of the Bidata Instrument manual - available here http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/pdfs/Raymarine/40Bidata.pdf

attachicon.gifSOG.png

Matt

Awesome! 

Thanks for that Matt - I thought it was a dead end.

So I'd need a BiData ST40 and the E85001. could be a Trade Me watch list! :-)

Clive, if you don't have the instrument, it's probably not worth it. There are other, better options, we should have a talk!

The only reason I am going the ST40 route is because I have a cutout designed for it so I am kinda stuck with that format.

TOMORROW NIGHT.

My presentation is ready! Hope to see you all there!!

First Crew.org Electronics and social evening.!!

What;

An introduction to marine electronics. From Cell phones, thru tablets, Instruments, Wifi, Integration (wifi, NMEA0183 and NMEA2000) PC and Mac opensource (free) software, the latest plotter based systems, and autopilots. The idea is to show people what is out there, and the pro's and cons of each system, and what can be achieved with modern electronics.

The presentation will be 30-40 mins, followed by a casual Q&A session and a few beers!

Where;

Richmond Yacht Club, Inc
Westhaven Seawall
173 Westhaven Drive

When;

Wednesday 29th July, 7 pm.

Cost;

$20.00pp at the door to cover expenses.

Just a little more info.

On display and functioning will be a B&G Zeus 2, a Vulcan, A Marine PC running Opencpn providing wifi data to a Sony Xperia cell phone, an Andriod Nexus 7 tablet, and a Ipad Air2. The wireless devices will be shown running their own Nav Applications, AND as remote repeaters/controllers for the primary systems.  

Also shown and discussed  will be;

Radar overlays

AIS

Weather Forecast display

Weather Routing systems

As well as all this I intend to discuss;

Instrument advances

Interfacing with existing instruments

Auto pilots

and more. We'll see how we go for time....

Hi Matt - thanks for the effort you put in,  was informative and interesting.

Why anybody would go to a retailer and buy from a plug & play sales person with little interest apart from next pay day I will never know. I know you're in it for the food you have to buy too, but in my experience when someone says "I'll tell you this and btw it cuts me out of the pay day line up" - its probably worth a listen! 

cheers.