Rocna without rollbar

So we use a Rocna on Bad Kitty, but the rollbar screws up how it sits in the fair lead. Any one tried the new generation Rocna without the roll bar?

Or how does the Manson version compare?

KM, Jump in here, do I rebuild the fairlead and catwalk, or just change to an anchor without the rollbar?

We've always had great results with the Rocna, and I don't want to go backwards in anchor performance.

Thanks,

I have to say first that I know nothing about the politics etc behind the current anchor manufacturers. I know Rocna had some issues with quality with their move to Chinese manufactures. My experience is with manson CQR type, then the Rocna, original NZ Made. The Rocna has been a superb anchor, setting fast and rarely moving. I've used it in over 1000 nights at anchor in pretty much all conditions. I know KM does not like them, really due to the business side, not the function of the anchor, as I understand it.

The Rocna works very well. Others of the same vintage (manson supreme, SARCA etc) are probably similar. They all seem to work better than some of the older models...

CQR stands for secure, for those that didn't know. When they came on the market they were considered so far ahead of the "old" oposition it was a no brainer to have one, they stowed well and worked pretty well over a range of bottoms. The Danforth was still supreme in the mud and the fishermans was for anywhere with rocks/ Kelp etc.

it was like a replay of what has been happening over the last ten years or so, with the CQR now being the "old" anchor and the Rocna / Supreme being the new boys.

Now there are new anchors being developed like the Sarca, the Mantus, and quite a few other variations, but all running along a along a similar theme, now the Vulcan is added to the mix, no matter what you think of any of them, it has to be healthy that there is still develpopment going on.

Supreme - not as good as the Rocna - imho. bent the tip on one and rendered it useless. I dived on it to figure out what was wrong and it just skipped along the bottom - it was interesting how a slight change in the angle of attack changed things.  

The rocna has a welded triangular tip over the bent plat plate of the Supreme.   

Cos it looks weird with the shank so close to the fluke?

I have a rocna just because , a supreme would have been fine too. Damn things are so hard to get out and off the bottom , can't they do something about that, shirley ? I bought the one at the lower end of the size threshold for my boat too.

I don't want an anchor that comes apart for my best( for a secondary maybe)

I don't want one that bolts together and I don't want one with hollow components , especially the shank. Just saying.

not saying it's bad

it is what it is

2 stamped bit of metal welded together

so the shank provides weight over the tip without the need for lead or extra steel

it may work very well

odd it looks

not expensive

doesn't look half as odd 

as the supermax

image_3560.jpg

very star wars!

in continual development

check out the versions with replaceable serrated teeth plates...

XYZ-onblack-chain-g2-600x.jpg

instead of a hoop it seems to use a big horn?

to prevent it landing upside down

they say it is the strongest anchor in the world

others say it never set...

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachments/all-things-boats-and-boating/18514d1201741586-future-anchor-design-sail-test.png

wow 

a spade and a plough

strung out on the sea floor

but nestled together on the bow roller

seems overkill

but for the boat that has everything

would be hard to beat for holding + setting