Stanchion bases

Anyone know of any good ones lurking anywhere?

I'm trying to nail a set down before I have a brain fart and think making some is a good idea.

All the ones I can find so far have been constructed to have a rated strength of 'totally pathetic'.

Ive seen a slightly different approach on this recently, basically solid fibre glass studs sticking up maybe 100mm from the deck, completely glassed in so no penetrations through the deck. The stanchion tube then slides over the top, with a simple pin through to hold it in place, one less thing to leak.

Socketed into the hull crossed my mind, for a brief moment due if there is a failure = hole on boat = a real big swim = not good.

Never thought about putting them the other way around. I'll ponder that Thanks Ed. First thought is 'I like it'.

I wonder if there is any legalities in doing that...... any handy Inspectors reading this thread?? ;)

A quick suss of the book doesn't say you can't. It also makes no differentiation between any of the Cats i.e. Cat 1 and Cat 5 are the same.

Interesting and the more I think about it the more I like it. I, just yesterday for the port side, vacuumed down reinforcing where the stanchions are to go back on. I cut the toerail out so the bases would sit better and stronger so right there is now a nice solid carbon base to build off.

I like the way you have your toerail P, I've done the exact same thing including none in the cockpit.

I was pondering the sockets last night and did have a Doh! moment when I remembered I'm putting in some sockets for another application so I will have the situation with those (and are OK with) I didn't want to have with the stanchions...... but being a part time dumbarse I never connected the 2 until then. If I put the stanchion ones in like the others I'll be fine.......... I hope.

Oh crap more gunwale work. I decided to tweak all I've just done a while back and just finished it all,  which took 2 weeks of time not planned for. Slow going single handed with only a hour or 3 after work and especial so when it's cold and things are taking so much longer to harden up well.  I've dramatically cut back on sailing OP's to open up more weekend time or I'll still be at it in 5 years, dread the thought.

I concur with IT, she's looking very good P. Loving the simplicity of the gudgeons. I'm about to get onto mine, looking forward to the construction but scared I'll cock up angles. 

I have the glass fibre spigots on my new build. So far, no problems, but boat has only done a few races. Had one grew member fall on to a stanchion, result bent stanchion, but crew still on boat, and no other damage.  The problem with a socket is that it will always be full of water, so corrosion is likely, and will weigh about the same all up as spigot system.