AIS uses the same frequencies so can use the same antenna.  ( or close enough frequencies ). There are antenna splitters available I have seen online to enable passive AIS to use the same antenna as the VHF, so this will be one of those with a USB adapter. Not to good to be true

Sure, there are several "cheap" methods to receive AIS. Receive only. Beware of cheap splitters - they introduce losses into the antenna system and will degrade your VHF primary systems effectiveness. There are several good splitters around that use power and provide gain to compensate for these losses. they are a few hundy.

IMO, a transponder is the only way - so the ships can see you as well as vice versa. They are amazingly effective. The best one is the Vesper marine range - the XB-8000 if you are using Opencpn - for $1050.00 incl GST.

If you really want receive only, then my advice would be to buy a VHF with ais receive capability - like the Lowrance Link 8 - I can do that for $431.00 incl GST.

Other suppliers likely have similar options for the radio, but nothing else competes with the vesper AIS (NMEA 2000, 0183, USB, wifi, and multiplexing  of much of the connection info etc).

Happy to talk if you want to give me a call. 0221539176 Matt

the AIS VHF signal is at a higher frequency than the marine VHF cannel and hence a standard VHF aerial may not perform well for AIS. Options are a second dedicated AIS aerial or this aerial from Vesper (manufactured by Pacific Aerials) - I fitted one for "future proofing"

http://www.vespermarine.com/antennas-splitters/shared-ais-antenna.html/

Standard Horizon 2200 ais / vhf it is the latest itteration of their vhf/ais package and has a gps as well, plus DSC.

Though if you are thinking of buying one soonish it would be wise be ensure that it will be compattable with the revision of the VHF channels. But that being said I think as IT says the Vesper unit is probably a better way to go, and with the dollar the way it is not a lot dearer.

It is true that AIS is a higher freq than normal VHF. But its not a lot higher, hence a single antenna can be made to cover the range (see the vesper one above). However, a normal one will still work, but be slightly less efficient - maybe 5-10%?

The modification to a VHF to receive AIS  via the mic cable and line in on a pc is explained here https://www.marinetraffic.com/files/DIY_VHF_Radio_setup_guide.pdf  You could do the mod yourself for only a few $.

However, be warned - this only works when the modified radio is set to the AIS freqs. - While listening to the AIS channels, it DOES NOT WORK AS A RADIO!!!

Apart from the obvious issues - the ship calling you, or vice versa, this probably makes the vessel legally in murky waters, as you cannot keep your listening watch on channel 16. Minor, I know, but there, never the less.

My advice is to either do without AIS, buy a radio with it (AND that can be updated to the new frequencies) or buy a transponder. Don't piss about with dodgy devices that are related to the safety of the vessel. That is just my opinion of course!