Rudder

I have to build a new one.

While I am seriously tempted to take a mold off the old one as it is a very chatty blade does anyone know of anything new, interesting, in R&D or of interest for someone looking at that specific subject?

Lovin the sexy shape, it's far flasher than my basic rectangle.

I just staked a couple of other boats and we have similar but I think mines quite chunky. I have some measurements to play with tonite.

Wowww, those are either super sexy or someone needs to stop running into whales :)

What's the thinking behind those blades Sloop, any idea?

Tims would be a bit short I'd expect Scottie. My rudder draws only 300mm odd less than my keel.

apparently

The flippers of the humpback whale channel flow and increase aerodynamic efficiency due to tubercles or bumps

humpbackwhale_feature.jpg

http://www.asknature.org/strategy/3f2fb504a0cd000eae85d5dcc4915dd4help

that's the best guess anyway

seem to remember their sizing and placement must be correct for a set speed or the faint advantage becomes a faint disadvantage

since we're talking fluid dynamics

splash-demotivational-poster-1249155045.

not sure even God knows exactly what's going on

but don't tell him i said that

which is why they are never? seen on race winners, only the pretenders

Not too sure how fast that last sexy looking rudder would be .......... but then if I had that strapped on the back would I care? I think knot ;)

Tubercles, hmmmm.... I do occasionally get cavitation ...... Not much and usually straight after a oppsie.

You will need a wet towel over the head for this....... :wtf:  :wtf:

http://dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/handle/1721.1/42917/245535660-MIT.pdf?sequence=2

Gezzz but a quick suss looks very interesting and it has a lot to do with foil shapes. I'll print it and have a read tomorrow. I can't read techo stuff like that well on screens.

Thanks Sloop.

In theory the Tubercles allow higher angles without stalling so you could run a narrower section without stalling all adds up to less drag all the time.

Not sure about some of those profiles always thought that the best shapes had a continuous taper towards the bottom to keep the flow attached, that said any of the modern profiles would be a huge improvement over the old rectangle of the past.

Hey KM. Have a talk to Paul Stock who built the emergency rudder for the Marshall. He reckoned the section he had would be ideal for a 930, and he has all the moulds.. I will PM you his email address..

I'd insert a pic, but can't work this new crew system....

I wonder what they are changing to Erice? Willow is right though, I'm hung ..... transom is about all I can claim hung on though ;)

Probably a little small FLC. The 930's are quite large for the boat.

A spade, na I don't think that would improve much. The existing is chatty and will tell me quickly if I'm pushing something too far .... or not enough. But due to a oppys before I got her, there was a super high speed rudder replacement so it's built a light but heavy.

Smithys spare was damn close in size and shape from memory so if Paul has a mold....... I'll suss.