Rudder

KM, I'm interested in this as well - I intend to remove the rudder and open it to inspect the frames on IT, probably next winter. If you are going to build a rudder, I'd like to have a look at how its done, and perhaps help a bit if there is anything I can do?

I was sussing prior to asking/telling/offering the fleet P. I know some are thinking about changing.

I had a suss of Hot Doggers and she's carrying one very similar to mine, maybe the one mine was copied from, I don't know. Many are similar but not quite. Having driven a few some certainly don't chat as much as mine does and I want to keep that if possible.

No worries IT, will do.

I made a new rudder last winter based on the Jefa racing design - http://www.jefa.com/blade/blade.htm. Made templates based on their shape and profile, built a cedar block around my old stock, shaped and glassed up w/plenty of carbon fiber uni. Been real happy with the result. Nicely balanced, plenty of control, stiff as.  I also have a spare rudder with an outdated design, and plan to rebuild it at some point, so am looking for another design to try as well.

rudder.JPG

Old rudder looked great on the outside and had recently passed survey, but on 1st haul out, noticed a small weep mid length. Drilled to inspect and found lots of wet cedar. Cut the glass back, and found lots of prior repairs...realized the whole core was bad.

• Upvote 1

The rudder on No Worries is a beauty! So balanced, so light yet so much feedback, and holds on harder the faster you go. At 15kts+ you can point the boat wherever you want and drive with so much confidence. But the transom needs some serious reinforcement behind the gudgeons to take the loads.

Hey Knot me, why knot go with two smaller "raked" rudders (transom hung)?

Oh yeah, I never thought if that. Has to be at least worth a suss and could be handy seeing we lean over 20 degrees if someone just sneezes. Nice thinking K, I'm onto that like a Rena onto a Astrolabe.

But the transom needs some serious reinforcement behind the gudgeons to take the loads.

No Worries transom strength is wossy pussy girlie blouse in strength compared to the new and improved Reptile. I got to that bit and remembered how you folded NW's in so I made sure mine won't do that. I now have a large grunty carbon beam that goes from grunted up corner to grunted up corner. If that beam goes I will instantly become a R780.

But with my new twin rudders the loads should be lower so I'm even gruntier. I do like that rudder idea.

Guest Ketchup

Twin rudders on one central tiller would be the Bomb I think.

If you carry a lot of weather helm then consider raking them forward too!

Maybe even some "kick up" arrangement if you hit something would be the go? (Can cause "harmonic vibrating issues" though)

Guest Ketchup

Stops being a 930 at that point...I think :wtf:

How to you come to that determination?

Its hard to find 2 Ross930 alike these days what with...

Differing ...

Keels

Rigs, size rigs as well as setups...

Rudders

Sail sizes and shapes

Number of sails

Motors

Overall weights

Interiors

Prods

Construction

Crew weight allowances...

Define a "Ross 930".

The only common factor in all of them is the LOA.... I hope?

The ................ may have already decided that along with the ................... The ................. will probably get a few a tad heated as well.

Twin rudders on one central tiller would be the Bomb I think.

Why not one tiller off each with a swerve in it like the multi so no tiller extension needed? 2 rudder and 2 tillers, a built in set of spares. Cassette or flip case them so no weather rudder drag and to allow for floating crap. I'm liking the idea more and more.

How to you come to that determination?

Its hard to find 2 Ross930 alike these days what with...

The only common factor in all of them is the LOA.... I hope?

Not quite. There are two 930's.

One is the Turboed and all of them are surprisingly similar and getting more so.

The other is the old school class who are still all pretty much the same.

There are the usual variations with sails but if you have been watching those also are closing up with what's in use today being no where near as widely different as it was 5 years ago.

Mine R930 isn't 9.3mts long. I'm assuming none of the others are either.

Just sussed and rudders aren't mentioned at all nor are they as any by product of any rule. So going to twins would have no rule implications.

Guest Ketchup

Two tillers would be a issue as the arc the would have to swing means they would have to be curved in so much as to almost be together.

As the boat is narrowish (as ststed above)I would...

Have the two rudders as far apart as possible and splayed out so as to be verticle when heeled at normal upwind "lean".

The connection for the tiller will have a pivot point on the centrline with the "lever arm" poking out the back and connected by adjustable "tie rods" to the aft "top" face (extened for more leverage) of each rudder,

All done in carbon tube etc...

I'll try and find a photo...

Guest Ketchup

Its about better control/steering not beam.

Sure these type of systems are suited to wide aft beam and flat sections but they can work well on a lot of boats.

The 930 is well suited.just like a lot of Farr IOR boats could benefit due to their rudders losing grip when heeled

Rudder size is critical.

Don't agree, I think on a 930 a well designed single rudder would prove more than adequate without the added complexity of twins.

IOR boats (like a lot of Farrs) lost grip when well heeled because of the rating advantage of having a bow down trim.

For an offshore vessel I can see the redundancy being an advantage and when you are reaching for hours on end with one rudder out of the water would definitely be fast on the right hull, I just don't think a 930 is the right hull.