Single handed sailing

No we;re, not scrapping the mark. Is the a reason why a fleet can't pass No 1 buoy to startboard? If we take that mark out it is just a lazy reach up the coast and you're not getting off that easily.

No we;re, not scrapping the mark. Is the a reason why a fleet can't pass No 1 buoy to startboard? If we take that mark out it is just a lazy reach up the coast and you're not getting off that easily.

More like a run and gybe/reach/ bit on the nose/cracked sheets ☺

What if the powers to be decide on course 2 and all of our quizzing is in vain...

As Elly pointed out, fines are big and I don't think that solo series need bad publicity...

Sure does make for an interesting course zig zagging through the chanel though!

Can't wait for the weekend!!! 3 more sleeps to go!

IMG_0499.JPGCompetitor shirts are looking great. It helps when the sponsor also has an apparel business.

I like the shirt!!!

Not convinced on the vests though... might be a touch too "formal" for the single handers... Then again, it doesn't take too much to convince me...

The question begging to be asked is: Why would you hit it? You can't say the same for the yellow buoys most look like they have spent a season at Waikaraka Park.

That might just be the reason they banned using shipping lane buoys for racing.

I know I will be out the back of the fleet all alone coming around that mark. Having plenty of room to have a f@k up, (wrapping the spinnaker around the forstay) while Steve (tp) tries to keep the boat pointed in vaguely correct direction, while a representative from my insurance company observes the proceedings from the back contemplating if my liability cover is adequate... and should I recover, if they should continue insuring me and/or my vessel.

I don't believe that anyone at any time plans to hit any of the buoys. Things just happen...

I will happily race whatever is chosen as a course. And am solely responsible for the safety of my vessel and myself, so is everyone else.

I do however think that we should observe local and government bylaws and make sure that we don't implicate organisers (clubs and individuals) and mitigate risk as much as possible.

McKenzie yellow would be an acceptable alternative or we could use the yellow buoy just north of Rangi light. I was trying not to have the fleet cross the shipping lanes more that needed. Would need to know that we can't use one as a course mark though.

I launched a (yellow) buoy with Jim Dilley, former harbour master 6-7  years ago. The shipping channel buoys are actually higher tech than you think. we went for an up close look at a couple. They also have some GPS system that  ensures that the lights flash like a runway and lots of other interesting stuff for shipping. They are not just buoys in conventional sense. At that time there were only 4 other ports in the world with this level of tech. Downside was each buoy was circa $100k then. Yes really. He didn't strike me as telling pokies.

I have seen boats trying to lasso red and green shipping buoys ,people trying to climb onto one, and general hanging off them.

Even if we don't hit one, if it does or has recently sustained damage from other parties, the site of 20 boats racing around one is likely to put us at the scene of the crime. We don't need that attention nor do we want to be a "possible" culprit. Single handed racing may a be a bit at the fringe as it is, so lets not given any party any ammo to decry us. ("out of control at the mark!")

Also I'm not foolproof, mistakes do happen but i'd rather hit a cheap yellow one than a pricey red or green one. Sailing is about risk management, single handed sailing more so, lets have the courses echo this. Both reducing reputational risk, as well as actual damage if someone does hit it.

The yellow buoys were set up as "special purpose" buoys - in our parlance, racing buoys. All the other clubs use them, and as we are  a bit of a "travelling circus" it makes sense for us too, to follow this lead - we don't need to be "different" especially given the proximity of a couple of yellows to the shipping buoy in question.

I have had a look at the port shipping movements, as far as  I can see, traversing the shipping channel a couple of times should nt see us dodging ships.

Like Wild, I will sail where told, but think this debate a good one to have , and thanks to the sponsors and people like Richard (Cool Change) for mucking in here and the Solo IQ website !

Unfortunately there is no way I'm going to be able to make the race this weekend. Gutted!

My wife has finally put her foot down. 3 young kids need their dad this weekend. With the Coastal, 5.9 Nationals and Gisborne race all coming up (and all involving a huge amount of prep time) I cant really argue...

I really hope to be able to do some of the other Solo races though. 

Good luck guys and have fun. 

Cheers Josh. We have a bigger fleet this year and are looking forward to a good series. .Andrew has organised  a pretty good lucky draw series prize for all who complete the series and are at the prize giving.