Single handed sailing

Well the weekend lived up to all expectations with twenty seven starters. Course 1 was the right one on Saturday and most got kites on early. I was a bit slow out of the blocks after a week with the bott but finally got going with a fractional. Good speed and an OK angle but was pinned under the Unitec with it's big blanket taking all my air. As the breeze got up I finally managed to crawl out from under and get some speed on. Best burst was 11.5 while Carey was downwind with a beautiful wrap. Hung on to the kite until I had a good angle up to Piri. Repacked the kite on the reach and re hoisted around Piri for the run to Navy. Uneventful rounding and a beat back to Gulf Harbour. All in all a lovely sail. Fairway Bay is a great venue with good shore facilities. The barbecue and camaraderie was as expected and most were kept amused into the wee-small-hours.

Sunday started with a solid beat to weather and saw pretty tight clustering for the Piri rounding. The leading boats stayed fairly high until Torbay and then settled for the reach across to A-Buoy. Gale Force and one of the Stewerts had a good break but there was a group of five or six who all rounded within a few boat lengths. The beat from A Buoy to Orakei didn't provide many passing options but everyone kept the pressure on.I finished 7sec behind the Unitec. I had hoped to force a port starboard on the finish line but was a boat length short.

Many thanks to KM and the finish boat crew for giving up their weekend to help this event succeed and to the team at Sailiq for the brilliant sponsorship and for hosting such a generous social function.

Hi everyone

Thank you for letting me play. First races for taboo.

I started second race under canvased and then left Torbay bouy to starboard so decided to head for home ,ie sandpit had a great sail home. I need to work on tacking single handed but learnt lots over the weekend. Fantastic weekend and thanks to all those that made it possible.

I look forward to building friendships over the rest of the series

Cheers Charlie

HnH about to roll over the cat. and sail out of view from us, however the rest are coming into view now

he's smoking... must be averaging 12 knots....

Yep - had a good burst just touched 11.0 side by side with Gale Force on AP ???? Bit of carnage going on behind & I didn't want to become part of it...GF pulled ahead under 2 sail and I ended up having a good battle with Space Station to the finish. Thanks to all involved for putting together a great opening weekend for the series. Looking forward to seeing everyone out for the next race at RYC on the 1st.

image.jpg

is is possible to enter individual races, or does one have to enter the whole series? i could not make the first weekend, but seeing taboo is out playing, i would be keen to do as many of the other races as i can manage.  

I am keen to sail this sunday, but can't figure out if i am allowed and if so, how to enter.

Ken (Voom, 8.5m cat)

is is possible to enter individual races, or does one have to enter the whole series? i could not make the first weekend, but seeing taboo is out playing, i would be keen to do as many of the other races as i can manage.  

I am keen to sail this sunday, but can't figure out if i am allowed and if so, how to enter.

Ken (Voom, 8.5m cat)

Hi Ken,

Good to hear that you are keen to give Charlie a run for his money! Individual races can be entered through the organising clubs. But it is a pain in the rear to enter each individual race and doesn't get you in the running for a series prizes (including a "special" participation prize )

If you contact Andrew at Sail IQ I'm sure something can be arranged to add you as a "late" keen, double hulled, fast, good bastard!

May cost you a rum or three

Cool Change will be there. Not willing to miss races at this early stage of the series. Don't forget the series flags and shirts. Could be something in it for those who remember. Predictwind is looking light and variable at the moment so will probably be blowing dogs off chains by Sunday. Will be good to catch up for a drink afterwards too. See you there.

Lovely weather organised for the weekend. Along with some cool prizes!

Richmond Yacht Club will be hosting the prizegiving and i look forward to seeing you up there for a cold beverage There is some sort of arangement with Westhaven for the use of the event berth for out-of-westhaveners while we all get fed and winners rewarded. Call or e-mail Kate at the office for details.

Solo IQ is organising a few sausages to be thrown on a barbie while we re-cap all of the f@k ups during the race (and I suppose the rugby match...). Make sure that you come dressed in your best SoloIQ colourfull shirt and you may end up getting a bit more than just a sausage! (And i dont mean piece of buttered bread and some tomato sauce, there will be onions too!)

Wild will be there in all of its might and glory! All 23 feet of it! See you at the start line

BJ Tyres Single handed race next Sunday. This a great BBYC event so come and join the fun. The course is a quick sprint from the Motukorea Beacon around Motuihe, up to North Leading Buoy and back to finish.

Sailors with IQ are doing it single handed this summer.