Seb's new flying boat

The idea with these foils is to generate extra righting moment, rather than lift the boat clear of the water, so you get to eek a bit more power out of the rig.

From what I understand the window where they show significant benefit is quite narrow, but that window is optimised for the wind angles expected due the round the world race.

So round the cans, probably slower, doing what there were designed for.. the VPP's are says they will should be a couple of DAYS faster around the marble!

Seems to me those foils are vulnerable to impacts. I wonder what the result would be... They do look fast though, although yes. likely to be of best use in certain conditions. Also be interesting to see if/how far they can be retracted, and exactly the connection to hull systems.

Looks like something else to break to me!!! In that video there was nothing that looked like sustained foiling and the conditions looked ideal for any IMOCA 60 so is it faster... Don't know till its lined up against another 60. Good to see the development though. Wonder if they could last a lap of the planet to make 2 days difference.