TV Tonight, Dramatization of Rose Noelle story. 8;30 TV1

Tonight there is a sailing related drama on TV1 8;30.

Think this will be worth a watch.

The story is a bit controversial, both at the time and then it led to two books being written, one by the skipper, and then another by a crew member which puts quite a different slant on events.

From one side of the story of course.

Little detail from the sailing point of view - what went wrong, why etc.

Pretty much about the relationships issues with 4 men in a very small space for nearly 4 months, without good supplies etc. Still, an upside down multihull like the rose Noelle is WAY better than a liferaft!

Reading the book by John Glennie, (which I did years ago) iirc he basically says the capsize it was his fault - he bowed to pressure to try to provide the (inexperienced) crew more comfort in heavy conditions, rather than looking after the wellbeing of the boat 1st.

He had a lot of miles in Multi's as I recall, but had never used this technique (with a drogue) before. I am sure that the capsize was NOTHING like what was portrayed on the TV show.

Agreed, I thought if the wave sequence was that bad .........but the rest wasn't that bad.

I always thought (after reading the book which is still here on my shelf) he had a good boat and was experienced and he was probably hugely responsible for all of them getting through it.

Do we know who finally bought the upside down Crowther?

Just watched it.  Dear dog, please producers, please edit out that wave sequence.  Apart from that, a very interesting little film.  

What's the name of the book by the other chap?  I'd like to read that.

I met the boat used in the film before they (the film company) bought it.  Lovely boat.  Covered in pock-marks as I recall.  The owner was grinding them out and then painting flowers and stars and things over the repairs.  Lovely guy, I hope they gave him good coin for his boat.  As I recall he'd bought it with his inheritance from his mother's estate.  Lived in Wellington but spent the summer on it in the gulf.

• Nalepka, James. Capsized: The true story of four men adrift for 119 daysISBN 978-0060179618.
  • Glennie, John. The Spirit of Rose-Noelle: 119 days adrift: a survival storyISBN 0-449-22082-6.

51rpyrVZf4L.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_Noelle

​according to this stuff story of last week

it's a 2 part story???

Abandoned will air as a two-part drama, starting Sunday, August 30 at 8.30pm on TV ONE as part of the Sunday Theatre season.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv-radio/71140179/rose-noelle-story-to-be-retold-in-twopart-film

interesting statement from the skipper at the start,when they reach tonga i will replace the crew.

Had i been there as crew and heard such statement i would not of gone as he is saying no faith in crew(fear call) but why go offshore if not sure of crew.  I personally would say one selfish man.

I don't think the director sailed much on a multihull, still enjoyed the perspective of four people on boat not that much bigger than ours. There wouldn't have been any room inside upside down. 

In my opinion it does prove a life raft on a multihull is useless, a descent EPIRB or two very useful.

I thought it made it appear much more sedate than it would have been. It must have been pretty bad in there when the wind got up -- but the film made it seem like it never got over 5-10kts!

Interesting that the skipper basically said the capsize occurred due to him being convinced by the frightened crew to take a course of action he didn't think was appropriate. Fear and especially panic can be extremely contagious and his failure to keep the crew calm may have severly impacted his own judgement, even if the situation would normally have been routine for him.

When I was a young falla (in the early 90's) there was a yellow Crowther moored off Herald Island. Anyone know if that was the Rose Noelle? When I saw the film, I had a flash back to that yellow tri, we motored passed her every time we went out on my parents yacht. One day it was gone, and never came back.